DIN rail help

Hello everyone,

I am working on a project where I am looking to replace some old hardware with Arduinos. The current system is mounted on din rails and uses connectors like such to provide power and signals to each piece of hardware:

I am hoping to be able to mount the Arduinos on the din rail, and to use a similar connection system with them. I am looking for something that can plug into these DIN rail mounted connectors that I can then attach wires to in order to feed the Arduinos. My other option is to find something else that I can attach in the din rail that can feed all of the Arduinos. I'm not really familiar with din rail components or things of this nature, so if anyone has some advice, it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

Use ordinary DIN RAIL Phoenix connectors and use wires to connect to these

Just try to google "din rail enclosure", you'll see a lot of result, and choose the source more appropriate for you.

Ciao, Ale.

Just try to google "din rail enclosure", you'll see a lot of result, and choose the source more appropriate for you.

I think he already knows that. I believe he was asking for a means to connect the arduinos to the din rail connectors but the connectors he shows are edge connectors and there is currently no arduino to edge connector solutions available (AFAIK) so he has to change to ordinary screw terminal Phoenix connectors (the green connectors) to arduino screw shield using wires .

raschemmel:
Use ordinary DIN RAIL Phoenix connectors and use wires to connect to these

Do those Arduino connectors fit on a MEGA? Also could you suggest a good Phoneix connector to use? I have looked through some of these but don't see how the power and signal wires get fed to all of the terminals. I have 4 different wires that need to connect to each Arduino.

I’ve used these from Weidmuller

http://catalog.weidmueller.com/catalog/Start.do?localeID=en&ObjectID=1155870000

They connect to a DIN rail with 5 conductors built in and solder onto your PCB that in turn fits inside these enclosures

http://catalog.weidmueller.com/catalog/Start.do?localeId=en&ObjectID=group84484709673687

Did an entire Arduino-based control system with modules connected along that DIN backplane. Had a master “Mega” and several slave “Unos”.

EDIT: Found a link that shows them better.

http://www.weidmuller.com/120111/Products/Device-connection-technology/OMNIMATE-Product-News/OMNIMATE-Housing-CH20M-BUS/cw_index_v2.aspx

Graynomad:
They connect to a DIN rail with 5 conductors built in and solder onto your PCB that in turn fits inside these enclosures

These do look really good, and I did want to get a similar enclosure for my Arduinos, but there are a few issues with what you suggested. I don't have a pcb to solder these onto, and also I'd have to buy one of those in rail connectors things. These are something I will consider though, thank you.

Yep, really you have to design PCBs to fit and buy their rails. We did an entire new system from scratch.

Yes, they are known (to electronics savvy people) as EDGE CONNECTORS (the ones I mentioned)

Thanks for all of your help guys. Is there any good components that can have a few wires run in and then have multiple ports for many devices to all receive those same signals? It doesn't necessarily need to be mounted on a DIN rail but it would be preferred.

Thanks for all of your help guys. Is there any good components that can have a few wires run in and then have multiple ports for many devices to all receive those same signals? It doesn't necessarily need to be mounted on a DIN rail but it would be preferred.

I think your question is a little too vague. Post a more detailed description of your I/O Design Criteria.

raschemmel:
I think your question is a little too vague. Post a more detailed description of your I/O Design Criteria.

I am looking for something that can have 4 or 5 inputs, then have many output ports. I want to pass in a few signals, power, and ground, and then be able to connect those inputs to many devices easily. The idea is that I wouldn’t have to run a separate signal, power, and ground wire for each device, but could instead run it to one component and then have all of the devices retrieve those input from there.

You haven't specified what kind of inputs or outputs.

Something like this for example:

You haven't specified what kind of inputs or outputs.

ANALOG or DIGITAL ?

Maybe something like this?

Ciao, Ale.

raschemmel:
ANALOG or DIGITAL ?

Digital. Also just an FYI, saying "what kind of signal?" isn't a very descriptive way of phrasing it. That's like asking me what kind of car that I drive. If I respond and say something like a Toyota Highlander, and you don't know what kind of car that is, you'd have to ask if that was an SUV, or a sedan and so on.

Digital. Also just an FYI, saying "what kind of signal?" isn't a very descriptive way of phrasing it. That's like asking me what kind of car that I drive. If I respond and say something like a Toyota Highlander, and you don't know what kind of car that is, you'd have to ask if that was an SUV, or a sedan and so on.

With all due respect, the correct response to my question is "

DIGITAL: TTL level (which specifies 5V)

Maybe something like this?

That's a GND BUS box.
(as opposed to these)

raschemmel:
That's a GND BUS box.
(as opposed to these)

No, it's not, may the picture it's not clear enough, or you are not familiar with these components, but what it's show it's not for ground.

Ciao, Ale.

There's not terminal blocks in that box. Those are all ground bus terminals.