DISCORD with discord

pert:
The Arduino Design Team released a blog post along with the website update:
Introducing a new way of browsing Arduino | Arduino Blog

We're always open to feedback that will enhance your experience, so please share your opinions (positive or negative) with us in the comment section below, or in our Forum or on Discord.

So I guess they will take your suggestion into consideration.

Per, what is this Discord? Another Arduino forum?

It's more of a chat platform than a forum, but essentially yes. I guess maybe the younger generation prefers that format?

Juraj:
Per, what is this Discord? Another Arduino forum?

Has nobody among the Arduino team looked up in a dictionary to see what "discord" means?

Why would anyone want to encourage discord in a community where friendship and co-operation are what is really needed?

...R

The Discord platform itself has no relation to Arduino. Arduino had no involvement in the naming of the platform.

Arduino did make the decision to start using this popular service, so you can certainly question that decision in specific.

I haven't spent a lot of time on the Arduino Discord server, but I haven't seen any more discord there than here on the forum, so I don't think the platform's name is having any significant effect on the tone of the conversations.

It is only "popular" because somebody "upstairs" said so.

In reality it is only popular amongst a few mega geeks and somebody very specific inside Arduino itself who has no interest in this part of Arduino.

The name says it all.

I can say that with impunity as I dont have to follow a set line.

Has anyone tried using "discord" It is a danged nightmare and has no structure to it in the slightest.
AT best it is a distraction to lead noobs AWAY from the forum and into somewhere they will simply get lost and abandon the Arduino ecosphere.

It is simply a trojan horse.

pert:
The Discord platform itself has no relation to Arduino. Arduino had no involvement in the naming of the platform.

Maybe. But they did make the decision to use it. And they did make the decision to use the word "Discord" in their menu.

I must say I share @ballscrewbob's view "AT best it is a distraction to lead noobs AWAY from the forum".

The Arduino system started out with the idea of making things simple so new people could include microprocessors in their projects. Unfortunately the notion of simplicity seems to have been discarded.

...R

ballscrewbob:
In reality it is only popular amongst a few mega geeks and somebody very specific inside Arduino itself who has no interest in this part of Arduino.

From Discord (software) - Wikipedia

As of 21 July 2019, there are over 250 million users of the software.

You have an interesting definition of "a few".

Robin2:
Maybe.

Haha. There’s no “maybe” about it. It’s an indisputable fact.

Thats just an advert BLURB Per. as well you know.

I have 8 zillion followers on twitbook more than the whole universe and El Cheeto.
And your cheque is in the post too

And even if it were true how many of those are Arduino users ?
How many of those are actually getting support from users such as this forum provides ?
Additionally how many are getting garbage or possibly dangerous answers such as you would get on a social media platform ?

Don't get me wrong as you know I support the community.
But when you have somebody who is "supposed" to support the community who never even faces the thousands who pass through on a DAILY basis you have to ask some deep questions.

pert:
Haha. There's no "maybe" about it. It's an indisputable fact.

That's what I intended to convey. I guess I should have written my sentence like this.

That's as may be, but they did make the decision to use it. etc

...R

ballscrewbob:
Thats just an advert BLURB Per. as well you know.

I agree that there is a possibility the number is inflated, since the source of the figure is the Discord company itself. However, there's absolutely no way the true numbers could ever be classified as "few". At the very least, there are hundreds of thousands.

Of those hundreds of thousands what (best guesstimate) are directly "arduino" related ?

How easy is it to navigate to specific "arduino" issues such as stk500 bootloader, or Nano Every ?

More important how easy is it for BAD advice to get through compared to in here where we so often self moderate as a close knit community ?

How wide would people in here have to spread themselves across discord to perform the same level of answers ?

How does discord moderate itself ?

How quickly does discord moderate itself ?

IMHO it seems like an excessively complex method of doing what we do in here with little real benefit to end users. Sort of like a Minotaur's den.

I agree that the current forum software leaves a lot to be desired.
I would also agree that it needs a lot of work or a suitable replacement.

However forcing something like discord out in a vain hope it will be adopted over a much simpler and easier system to navigate smacks of an inept decision taken with little real homework.

Also given the age range of users as is so frequently demonstrated the demographics were clearly not taken into account in the decision.
You are not the only one to have stated "younger users" as the prime (maybe sole) audience for discord. so that would leave out a good chunk of the Arduino playing field.

It almost seems like a deliberate ploy to split the community.
That is not a statement I though I would ever have to say !

pert:
I agree that there is a possibility the number is inflated, since the source of the figure is the Discord company itself. However, there's absolutely no way the true numbers could ever be classified as "few". At the very least, there are hundreds of thousands.

I think ballscrewbob meant the user count in Arduino section on Discord

Juraj:

A.T.A.

:wink:

Juraj:

The "few" statement was directly referring to my use of "popular" in this post:

pert:
Arduino did make the decision to start using this popular service, so you can certainly question that decision in specific.

When Arduino was making the decision to start using the service, obviously the concept of "popular" couldn't have been based on the user count in the Arduino Discord server, because there was no Arduino Discord server before Arduino made that decision. So clearly what I meant by "popular" was the popularity of the Discord service in general.

When you're making the decision as to whether it's worthwhile for a company to establish an official presence on a social network, the popularity of the service is a significant factor. It's not a guarantee as to the value, but there's a much better chance of a successful outcome from opening an Instagram account than there is from opening a MySpace account.

Has anyone tried to actually log in to that “discord” thing ?
I keep running around in circles and coming back to verify email.

God forbid the older generation try to get into that maze.

I have been re-directed to lots of different pages but nothing remotely Arduino yet.

I also keep getting a “claim this account” page even though I appear to have done that a few times.

Sure fire way to loose users before they get anywhere.

Oh and as a simple thing hit the discord option from the top menu (if you can see it LOL)
Scroll down and hit visit “byte frenzy” (if it shows that for you)
Then scroll down again and tell me what you see in the bottom right.

pert:
The "few" statement was directly referring to my use of "popular" in this post:When Arduino was making the decision to start using the service, obviously the concept of "popular" couldn't have been based on the user count in the Arduino Discord server, because there was no Arduino Discord server before Arduino made that decision. So clearly what I meant by "popular" was the popularity of the Discord service in general.

Never heard of it and neither has my son who seems to fit the age group this whole thing is targeted at.
Also asked stepdaughter who is all things social media and guess what another "what, who"
They are both geeks in training LOL so I would have expected more than what ? or who ?

Not a great sample I admit but it seems discord is a new kid on the block and not as popular as we may be led to think.

Given all the other newish kids on the block for social media that are grabbing a lot of limelight this one does not seem to register.

However WSJ has a nice piece on it

(edit)
Given how easy it is to get lost in there the potential for Arduino users to come up against some pretty nasty stuff is easy to see.

I for one would like to see it removed from the list on the menu until such times as steps to prevent mistakes from users keeps them in the realms of Arduino.

Is this really where our CM wants to lead Arduino ?
Pretty sure this sort of activity was not what the founders of Arduino had in mind for open source.

Dont even try to PM an arduino discord moderator as unless you are already part of that channel it will not work even though It says I am "joined" to the server.

Aaand still stuck at claim this account.
It knows I am logged in otherwise how would it know I am joined to the Arduino server
So why all the claim account BS

Somebody dropped the ball with discord as it is certainly not ready for an Arduino user audience.

BallscrewbobToday at 1:12 PM
How in hell do I get into the Arduino part of this shenanigans ? ... It says I am joined but I also get a claim this account thing even though I logged into discord
Clyde
BOT
Today at 1:12 PM
Your message could not be delivered because you don't share a server with the recipient or you disabled direct messages on your shared server, recipient is only accepting direct messages from friends, or you were blocked by the recipient.

So existing forum peeps may not be allowed in there or the mods over there dont want to mod or a setting was clearly missed out that would alert a mod to a mod alert.

I think I need a 24 hr ban before I say or do something stupid as this BS is winding me up no end.

I did hear of Discord before.
It is some popular discussion platform about online gaming (and/or cheating), and i guess they want to expand their business.

I also had a look at it before today.
It is (was a year or so ago) a privacy nightmare, so i don't want to have anything to do with it.
I will read disclaimers, terms of service and privacy policies, and will not join if i don't agree with any of them

If Arduino goes exclusive Discord, i'll be gone.

Topic split as requested.