Grid tie - (RIIG) RPM Independent induction generator - From 20 ->500 RPM.

From more than a century the only way we know how to operate an induction machine in generator mode is to drive it above its synchronous RPM. The solution is applicable in theory, it rarely appears elsewhere beside large installations such as large, utility large wind turbines, the relatively high speed requirement drives it out of the practical realm of small and medium installations, especially family, community size renewable energy harnessing devices.

These are the fruits of a decades-long endeavor, roughly about 15 years ago, the phenomena was first observed when an induction was fed with small voltage rectified current, it acted as a brake and it needed force to turn, energy does not get loosed but transformed to another medium, it got to go somewhere . Various “net metering” devices ( KLM, Kill-A-Watt . . .) were employed showing limited success at some places and failing at others.
Learning the lesson from the mosquito thing, It took me multiple submissions, 6 years wasted, Only until I posted in this forum, the “Journals” reached out to have it published. I have no desire to “gain”, but only doing my job, If a thing is a gift of GOD to the community, it’s not mine I have no authority to give any parts to anyone including myself.

This is a new territory, there vast amount of videos, pictures, schematics, sketches. I ask the community to be patient. I will disclose them all. Actually, I don’t know how to start or communicate in an organized way. Be patient. Please . . . we will address them one by one. Aiming to equip you with knowledge for you to DIY or even better.
Happy Mosquito Free!
Phi

First thing first: (or may be the last thing first)

As the pioneer we have to go to great length to make it proven. For most viewers, they are mostly irrelevant. if it works then give me an instruction, the most simple, easiest one.

Instruction to operate an off-the-shelves 1HP motor in generator mode at any RPM (means from 20 ->500 RPM). in 110VAC grid environment.

What you need:

• 1 HP 230/460V, 12 wire (from T1 to T12), 1745 RPM, 3 phase motor. Off-the-shelves does not mean any 1HP motor will work.
  • 2 Hi-voltage, Hi-Amp diodes.
  • 35 uf Capacitor.

Putting together:

• Connect T4 to T5, T2 to T6, T10 to T11, T8 to T12 and T1 to T9.
  • T3 to the cathode of a diode, T7 to the anode of the other. The remaining anode, cathode of the diodes are then connected to the neutral wire of the grid. It must be the neutral wire.
  • The other "hot" wire from 110V is connected to one terminal of the capacitor, the remaining other is connected to the T1 (T1, T9 combination) of the machine.

You are done. This will allow you to have an about 2 amp generator. (Normally 2 amp means its power is 2 X 110 = 220 watt).
If you bypass the capacitor it will output about 8 amps and will fry your machine in a short period. it's ways over the the tolerance of an 1 HP motor.

Let's talk about 1 HP 230/460 3 phase motor

• 2 coils per phase
  • Each phase is 277V.
  • We use 3 coils per directions: it will be rated at 3 x (277/2) = 415.5 V
  • The motor is rated at 745.7 / 460 = 1.621 Amp. It was for all 3 phases and each has 0.54 amp tolerance. Normally it is the same as the tolerance of the copper gauge of the coil. We tried at 2 Amp for hours without overheating.

If one tries to apply the existing explanations and to put the above together within textbooks perspective, (we did it too) , it may sound way off the calculation in order to make use of the available equipment. we only present you the result of our at best trial on errors.
Happy Mosquito Free!
Phi

Testing if the unit is indeed generating power.

Method 1: Using third party current meter.

It could be handheld or panel mounted type those with supplied CT ( Current transformer) It can be a clip-on or a donut to let the wire run though the middle hole.

System is set up to measure the current of the generator in combination with a resistive load or small motor like a fan. They all have sine like current curve.

There are 4 scenarios

• When both the load and the generator OFF: The readout should show Zero current value.
  • LOAD ON , GENERATOR OFF: The readout should be recorded. Let's say 0.5 AMP
  • LOAD OFF , GENERATOR ON: The readout should be recorded. Let's say 2.2 AMP
  • LOAD ON , GENEEATOR ON: If the generator is uploading the power then 1 cancels out the other in this example it should display 1.7 AMP. If it show more than 2.2 then you know it is a power consuming unit, not a generator. One is a LOAD the other must be a generator for the current to cancel each other.

Perhaps the major stumbling block is for you to have a prime force to drive the generator. - At first you can turn it by hand- In this case smaller capacitor helps. Further on you can use VFD (Variable Frequency Drive) - The smaller device like 5, 7 AMP won't work on the long run. They do not provide enough power to drive your system.

Happy Mosquito Free!
Phi

Interesting but dont keep us waiting -

post a schematic please

johnerrington:
Interesting but dont keep us waiting -

post a schematic please

I will try my best with some the physical and linguistic limitations

Testing set up.png

it is the configuration at our place. Your testing current transformer of the meter should be placed at the "A" position

Testing set up.png

Dear Johnerrington.
The other CTs B & C are to be used in the 2nd methods using oscilloscope that we will discus later. There will be one more, the third, where we take the "meter" out of the black box to build an Arduino base net metering ourselves it will be handy for you to further implement that will show the full activity of whole system whenever the direction of the power up or down at real time.

Magnetic Energzing.png

The image shows how the magnetic fields of machine are energized at 2 haft of the AC cycle. RED means north and BLUE mean south. 1,2,3,4,5,6 are the six coils of the machine.

It acts as if there are 2 machines sharing the same housing alternately working off the hafts of the cycle.

For over the years we tried to feed the machine with a single full wave rectified current, it didn't work. Only recently we noticed that it was the transient magnetic flux in combination wit the mechanical force that kept the machine continue have the current running before, during and after cross-zero events, making the gate control devices (SCR, triac, alnernistor . . .) failed to perform accordingly.
The system works b/c the HAL effect that neutralized the neighbor coils when they are OFF.
Hope this explanation help

Happy Mosquito Free!
Phi

Magnetic Energzing.png

As of the Mosquito thing, I prefer to have the facts speak for themselves. And I am really trying not to get involve into theoretical proving or discussions.
However I own the community some simple lay person explanations how come the thing really works.

Let's look at the system during the 1rst haft of the cycles:

Magnetic Energzing2.png

• The machine is energized with 2 north poles and 1 south.
  • The squirrel cage by itself is a coil and in the middle of magnetic fields
  • When ta prime force makes it turned, it's cutting through those magnetic fields thus generating some electricity.
  • Because squirrel cage is short circuit, it has nowhere to go but to change the flux in the area. By virtue of reactions it affects the flux of the coils of the stator then the directions of supplied current; the grid.
  • And also because the ground side of the grid is clamped, the electricity has only one option to move up or down the other side which is the "hot" wire.
  • Things are alternating happen at one "machine" then to the next, over and over.
  • And there is it: It generating grid tie electricity.

Hope this helps.

Happy Mosquito Free!
Phi

Magnetic Energzing2.png

Go forth:
The method of feeding a 4 pole 3 phase motor was observed roughly more than 10 years ago.
There were 2 issues 1 I give up and the other solved. I state here for anyone out there may interest to pick up.

The issue that I can address is the current that the generator output requiring a ways overrated motor. The resolution came recently, it is the role of the capacitor as current limiter It may look simple, easy to almost anyone, but it took me more than 1 decades to overcome..

The next issue; the one I gave up. For all over the years I try to feed the generator with a full wave rectified current by developing a bidirectional bridge rectifier. I thought: Only If I success on this then I then have a "good" scheme to operate any off-the-shelves motor in generator mode. I finally success one, but it won't work on inductive environment. --- I finally gave up with a sense of failure.

Note:

• About the mosquito thing. I am not an entomologist, have never had tae a course on insect matter.. Even though I On/Off pay attention to the problem since childhood, It just because the level on infestation torturing me doing this work and a flick of inspiration. I can not credit myself for it but the "SOURCE" of the inspiration, There are many others out there who are better than me at all aspects - perhaps millions. It could include many of you too! If he / she receives the same inspiration they could do better, much better.
  • Please be patient about the next "methods". I am putting information together for somehow I can convey them with as little wording as possible. They are for "engineers" and need a lot of explanations. The first method that I posted is the best.

Hope you understand.

Happy Mosquito Free!
Phi

Hi,
I have a problem, you started this on April Fools Day…
You have not provided a proper circuit diagram of your setup.
You have not provided a make and model of your induction motor/generator.
You have not provided a picture(s) of your project.

What are you trying to do, produce more energy out of the induction motor/generator than input to the VSD?

I am having trouble following your basic description and method.

I’m serious here, are you also a flat earther?

Tom… :grinning: :coffee: :coffee: :australia:

Hello Tom. T address your “problems”

1. I start on April fool day. . . . I have nothing to said.

2. I pondered on this as well: Using “circuit” of inside a 3 phase induction motor will cause more confuses than a simple instruction set with a to b, b to c., d to e . . . Please refer to BEMA standard on the wire naming of the 3 phase motor.
    RIIG Circuit Diagram
    I put up an image of the circuit diagram with NEMA naming convention and the circuit. Just to please you even I know it will cause more confused then clarification specially about the NEMA’s thing. A Google on “nema 12 wire 3 phase motor” will give more information too.

3. Name and model . . . Over the years we use many. Let’s pick one. GE commercial Motor: X7041046010 with this particular model the naming of the wire are underneath the panel. FYI: The model of the VFD is ABB 30 HP 208—240 VAC VFD ACS550-U1-088A-2 AC DRIVE

4- About pictures: Video and pictures will be follow: I hope with this update of the forum I am able to upload the pictures BC with my I phone 6 every picture is a at or above 2MG limitation of the forum. I preferred to have the pictures as they are because the metadata of the pictures will tell reader time , place . . . they need to be edited before uploaded thus posing issues with “forensic” scientists.
and this video of the system at work:

Some explanation on information about the video: (a) The VFD produces frequency F=7.0 (a) It then turns the large motor at 7.0 * 30 = 210 RPM. (c) the gearbox reduces further by 10 fold = 210 * 0.1 = 21.0 RPM. (d) Then the pulley set reduce further by 25% driving the generator (small motor) at about 21.0 * 0.75= 15.7 RPM. gives & takes

5- The VFD and the 20HP motor is the system allow us to drive the "generator "at the speed we want. Without them we don’t know how to turn the generator at low speed.

6- I hope the it helps

Other pictures video of the control panel means nothing without a lengthy background/ introductions about the CT … Scope … How they works , , , I choose not to post at this time but eventually.

I’ve thought about building a bicycle generator using a 250 ~ 400W (1/3 ~ 1/2HP single phase motor geared to a comfortable pedaling speed and pushing power back into the wall receptacle. What if ten million tubbies generated 75 ~ 100W each to burn off their belly rolls, that would be a GigaWatt of “green” energy fed to the grid. :grinning:

It depend on the size of the capacitor. You may need to experiment until it fit start from as low as 5,10 uf then up. It’s our experience that the “motors” at generator mode are slightly different b/w manufactures. I think at average a bicycle thing may generate about 100W; less then 1 Amp. I read somewhere, even gifted Lance Armstrong could come up to about 1/4 HP mean 745/4 = 186 W.

Hi,
Thanks for the info.

If T1, T2 and T3 are the starts of each coil, should it be;
START>>> T1 – T4 connected to T2 – T5 connected to T3 – T6 >>> FINISH
And.
If T7, T8 and T9 are the starts of each coil, should it be;
START>>> T7 – T10 connected to T8 – T11 connected to T9 – T12 >>> FINISH.

Tom… :grinning: :+1: :coffee: :australia:

Hello Tom.

With the method:

We need to change the polarity of T2 -T5 and , T3-T6 coils with (===) stand for coil. Then the connections will be:

T1===T4 ->T5 ===T2->T6 ===T3

The same we need to change the polarity of T8 -T11 and , T9- T12 coils to connect

T7===T10->T11===T8->T12===T9

Hope to make thing clearer.

FYI: With NEMA convention: T1, T2, T3, T10, T11, T12 are the begins the other are the ends when all coils have the same turn direction. (Sorry if this note causes any confusions)

Hi,
But as the field rotates won’t the coil that is in the field going in the opposite direction the the others change?
fieldrotation

The fields do not rotate.
Let’s say in the first haft of the AC CYCLE: field 2+6 = NORTH, field 4 = SOUTH (as of your first hexagon) then the second haft
Field 1=NORTH Field 3,5 = SOUTH.
The unit has 0 synchronous RPM.

Hi,
If the fields do not rotate and move through the windings, how do you produce current in the windings?

Have you put a scope on the output of each winding assembly?

Tom… :grinning: :coffee: :coffee: :australia:

(1) I do not even try to view the voltage each coil individually or even the unit. They don’t show any change.
(2) But measure the current, I mainly scope the current if a current flow forth or backward. I will post later.
(3) If you asking me how do I produce a current? I only can give you educated guess as if How do I produce current in the winding when a unit is driven above its synchronous (1800) RPM in conventional method. (a) That there is a current in the cage which is the short circuit. (b) That current amplified the magnetic fields around the coil. (c) As the Hal effect it magnifies the magnetic field of the coil. (d) From there the current produced at the winding system.

Hi,

But the “cage” is rotating so the field it produces must be rotating through the stationary windings.
What has the “Hall Effect” got to do with it?