Guidance for automatic car parking syste

Hi~good morning everyone,
I am new here and seeking some advice and guidance for my arduino project (Automatic rotary car parking system)

In my project, I want to make a automatic car-parking function (correct RFID card for correct car slot for taking out the car). This is the main function.

However, I am really not very clear about the key concept how to achieve this.

Can you please give me some advice and direction to this project, please~

simple
design a rotary car storage system
design a way to have the cars stored in that system
have an RFID tag, bring your own, or use one from the lot

you park on the pad, get out of the car
swipe your RFID tag,

then design an Arduino program that will know what spaces are used. and what ones are not.
automatically move the car into an un-used space, remember the space and link it to the RFID tag.
log the time in.

now, when the customer comes back and scans their RFID tag, the arduino will signal your rotary system to bring the car for the person.

pretty much sums it up.

I would suggest you start by getting an Arduino and try out the example programs.

Hi,
Welcome to the forum.

Please read the post at the start of any forum , entitled "How to use this Forum".
OR
http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php/topic,148850.0.html.

Can you please tell us your electronics, programming, arduino, hardware experience?
Is this a school/college/university project?

I presume you are making a model, or is this just a concept?

RFID reading is possible using Arduino technology.

What is your physical method of storing the cars?

• stacked parking lot, each lot accessed by a lift that moves in x and y?
  • rotary parking lot, each lot accessed by rotating the parking lots?

We need more info or a diagram of the physical concept.

Thanks.. Tom.. :slight_smile:

winmax923:
I am new here and seeking some advice and guidance for my arduino project (Automatic rotary car parking system)

Is this for real cars or model cars?

...R

dave-in-nj:
simple
design a rotary car storage system
design a way to have the cars stored in that system
have an RFID tag, bring your own, or use one from the lot

you park on the pad, get out of the car
swipe your RFID tag,

then design an Arduino program that will know what spaces are used. and what ones are not.
automatically move the car into an un-used space, remember the space and link it to the RFID tag.
log the time in.

now, when the customer comes back and scans their RFID tag, the arduino will signal your rotary system to bring the car for the person.

pretty much sums it up.

I would suggest you start by getting an Arduino and try out the example programs.

Dear Dave-in-nj,

Thank you so much for your advice.

Actually, I am not so clear about what a rotary car storage system is. I am stuck in this stage.

in my idea, my arduino project will have a random code generation process and will be shown on the Nokia 5110 display (simulating the printing of receipt)

when people take car, there is a keypad for people to input their code for their own car and the corresponding car slot moves to the ground level.

I am planning that each car slot will have different resistor connected in it and therefore each car slot will have a unique resistor reading.
And the random generated code will map with the corresponding car slot by the unique resistor reading.
like the above, I am imagining should I use the database concept to construct the above system?
is the database concept is the only way?
I searched on the internet and know that we can save .txt data to the SD card module, however, can we read the .txt file in the SD card module to get the corresponding linkage for the right car?

it seems that arduino is not good at managing the database and are there any simpler ways that we can still achieve goal?

every single step is easy, but it is hard to integrate all the processes into an automatic system.

and am I making things complicated?
are there any suggestions can make things going easier?

TomGeorge:
Hi,
Welcome to the forum.

Please read the post at the start of any forum , entitled "How to use this Forum".
OR
http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php/topic,148850.0.html.

Can you please tell us your electronics, programming, arduino, hardware experience?
Is this a school/college/university project?

I presume you are making a model, or is this just a concept?

RFID reading is possible using Arduino technology.

What is your physical method of storing the cars?

• stacked parking lot, each lot accessed by a lift that moves in x and y?
  • rotary parking lot, each lot accessed by rotating the parking lots?

We need more info or a diagram of the physical concept.

Thanks.. Tom.. :slight_smile:

Dear Tom,

Thank you for your comment.

Actually I am preparing this for my school project.

The electronic will be used are 4x4 keypad, Nokia 5110 display, MFRC522 RFID module

and I am just making a model.

It is a rotary parking lot, each lot accessed by rotating the parking lots

https://images.app.goo.gl/1WzCt5GFKHMkbeyCA

Robin2:
Is this for real cars or model cars?

...R

It is model cars only, thx man :slight_smile:

Every technology seems like magic.

Break your project into major blocks.

Mechanical
Software

Break these into smaller bits
What is your task?
What is your experience in any of this?

Youtube rotary Garage
To Get some idea if that.

winmax923:
Actually, I am not so clear about what a rotary car storage system is. I am stuck in this stage.

You are the person who mentioned "Automatic rotary car parking system" in your Original Post. What had you in mind when you wrote that?

If you don't understand what you wrote then it will be difficult to help you.

...R

winmax923:
I am planning that each car slot will have different resistor connected in it and therefore each car slot will have a unique resistor reading.

I'd go for mounting a cardboard disk on a stepper motor, and calculate the stepper motor steps per parking slot, say 6-8 pizza slices. Then just for starters, get the thing to reliably "click" round continuously stopping each slot at the gate. Then maybe add some buttons, one per slot, so that when you press button 5 or whatever, it spins slot 5 round to the gate. Display the current slot on the lcd.

As a beginner in Arduino, just that should keep you busy for a while.

Do you have to make the rotary mechanical bits as well as program the software? I mean make a working model?

dave-in-nj:
Do you have to make the rotary mechanical bits as well as program the software? I mean make a working model?

That's how I read OP's description, since they were talking about resistors and so on, seemed as if it had to work, albeit on a tiny Matchbox / Mattel Hot Wheels scale

I would offer that a Ferris Wheel offers a way to hang a car/gondola
then you really only have a long linked (noun) chain. could make the links of wood or plastic as well as rope or string.

large diner plate pulleys and the gondola hangs and the car can drive in or out.

just to pick one of of the tiny bits...

if the bottom of a gondola had a bar code, you could scan it.
if the gondola had a second RFID tag, you could identify it
if the gondola has a resistor, you could measure it to identify it
if the gondola had a DS18B20 temperature sensor, you could pull the address from it
if the bottom of the gondola had a large hole in it, you could be a beam break sensor to verify that it is empty

as a passing comment, if you have to use RFID once, then a second time might make it easier than trying to set a second technology to work. Provided they do not interfere with each other.

pontiacbandit:
I'd go for mounting a cardboard disk on a stepper motor, and calculate the stepper motor steps per parking slot, say 6-8 pizza slices. Then just for starters, get the thing to reliably "click" round continuously stopping each slot at the gate. Then maybe add some buttons, one per slot, so that when you press button 5 or whatever, it spins slot 5 round to the gate. Display the current slot on the lcd.

As a beginner in Arduino, just that should keep you busy for a while.

Dear Pontiacbandit,
Thank you for your comment~ :slight_smile:

Btw I was imagining a horizontal layout: lazy Susan rather than Ferris wheel.

But whatever approach is taken, I'd say you need to start by forgetting the project as such, and work through some of the tutorials in the IDE at File > Examples.

This topic was automatically closed 120 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.