Heating Element (700mA) Capability

Putting together therapeutic device using vibrating motors and heating element. Motors are rated at 3V and 70mA each, and the heating element at 5V and 700mA which I understand is too much for the Arduino Uno. I also want to limit the heating element to 40 degrees Celsius

I am led to believe that I will need a steady state relay or even a PID controller but I am unsure of the layout and coding to achieve this.

Link to Manufacturers page of Heating Element: https://www.wirekinetics.com/en/proDetail.php?prod_sn=6

Thanks

"Steady state relay"? Do you mean a Solid State Relay (SSR)? You will do much better with MOSFETs to do the switching of both the motors and heating element. You'll obviously also need something to measure temperature but there are loads of those to choose from.

Search for "Arduino heater control" to see the many similar projects that have already been done. Adding vibrating motors will be simple.

Steve

Oops sorry that I do.... thanks for your help Steve.

Assuming motors should be okay without the MOSFET but if they do require amplifying will I have include extra or can all components (2 motors and 1 heating element) run off the one MOSFET?

thanks for your help Steve really appreciate it.

slipstick: "Steady state relay"? Do you mean a Solid State Relay (SSR)? You will do much better with MOSFETs to do the switching of both the motors and heating element. You'll obviously also need something to measure temperature but there are loads of those to choose from.

Search for "Arduino heater control" to see the many similar projects that have already been done. Adding vibrating motors will be simple.

Steve

You could only run with a single MOSFET if motors and heater will always be switched on and off together. It doesn't seem likely to me but it's your design.

Steve

Anything inductive or taking more than about 25mA needs driving, the Arduino cannot manage more than that.

Motors are inductive and you'll need to know the stall current to pick a suitable driver transistor/MOSFET, and you need a free-wheel diode for each too.

A poorly driven MOSFET is a pretty good heater in itself.