Help needed with a DSLR camera trigger

Hi, I was wondering if I could get a little help here.

I want to trigger my camera via a microswitch on my 3D printer, here is the diagram for the stock DSLR trigger for my make of camera, but I really only need the "shutter" switch and the "Focus" part omitted.

Would this just be a case of connecting the - directly to the one node of the switch, and the other node of the switch in series 2K2 as a pullup resistor to the +

Does the camera always focus before
activating the shutter?

I am quite certain you can omit the focus parts because the user can always push the trigger button at full speed. Most cameras will still try to focus when autofocus is enabled. Some cameras allow shutter priority to be set and then the camera will take a picture even if the autofocus has not finished focusing. If you set your camera to manual focus you will not have to worry about it at all. In MF the camera will take a picture instantly.

herbschwarz:
Does the camera always focus before
activating the shutter?

No, not when settings are on manul, how I use it.

But with the trigger I have yes, even in manual mode. I think this is due to how the trigger is built, its 3 sprung sheets of metal on top of each other, so when you half-press the first two make contact and this focuses, then when you push all the way on the button all 3 sheets connect and it triggers the shutter.

So I have no need for the focus part, and just want to build a simple trigger switch.

We had a lengthy discussion on remote switching of a DSLR last year. Might help:

John.

The circuit in the first image in the opening post forms a voltage divider; replace the 36k and 2k9 by one resistor of 39k. and keep the 2k2 in place.

sterretje:
The circuit in the first image in the opening post forms a voltage divider; replace the 36k and 2k9 by one resistor of 39k. and keep the 2k2 in place.

Thanks, sterretje!

It works like a charm!

What camera? Just asking, I made a remote shutter using Arduino and LCD to set auto shutter at timed interval, etc. Canon DSLR did not need resistor but used 3 lines for focus and shutter. Shorted to common triggers either the focus or the shutter (and can be set in Arduino to skip pre-focus)

There's an old guide somewhere I used as the basis, the original guide were wired for Nikon so a bit of change to make it work with my camera. This one: DIY intervalometer based on Arduino | Rastroludico It's got photoresistor for light activation (ie lightning) and sound (code wasn't implemented yet) for clap or something.

wilykat:
What camera? Just asking,

its a Panasonic Lumix DMC-G7

But this trigger circuit works for the following models too if anyone stumbles across this thread:

G1, G2, G3, G5, G6, G7, G10.
GF1.
GH1, GH2, GH3, GH4.
GX1, GX7, GX8.
FZ25, FZ30, FZ50, FZ100, FZ150, FZ200, FZ1000.