Help with "dead" Uno

So a long time ago I made the mistake of replacing the chip in my Arduino Uno R3 with the ATMega 328P-UP. Now I cannot get anything to upload to it.

So far I was able to burn the bootloader using my Mega2560 R3 as the Arduino ISP.

When I unplug the Mega and plug in the Uno and try to do get board info I get this:

BN: Unknown board VID: 0658 PID: 0200 SN: Upload any sketch to obtain it

Any help appreciated!

I have the output from the bootloader burn but its too long to post?

BN: Unknown board VID: 0658 PID: 0200 SN: Upload any sketch to obtain it

If not mistaken, that is typical for clones that don't use a 16U2. A board with an 'intelligent' USB-to-TTL chip (e.g. original Uno with 16U2) can identify itself, a board with e.g. a CH340 USB-to-TTL chip can't and is just a serial port.

What does Windows device manager (or Linux / Mac equivalents) say when you connect the board? If a serial port is assigned when you connect the board, that part is OK and you will have to explain the actual problem in more detail; e.g. the actual error messages that you get.

// Edit from http://www.linux-usb.org/usb.ids

0658 Sigma Designs, Inc. 0200 Aeotec Z-Stick Gen5 (ZW090) - UZB

Looks like you changed your Uno to something (joystick or so, no idea) or you picked the wrong serial port.

OK. Thanks! When I plug in via USB, System Profiler (Mac) isnt showing a change for the Uno. That could possibly be to changing the Uno to something as you mentioned.

So how do I troubleshoot the USB on the Uno?

The bootloader burn was successful after I changed the Signature to the one matching the target board.

sterretje: If not mistaken, that is typical for clones that don't use a 16U2. A board with an 'intelligent' USB-to-TTL chip (e.g. original Uno with 16U2) can identify itself, a board with e.g. a CH340 USB-to-TTL chip can't and is just a serial port.

Yup, agreed. I have a couple of clone boards and both report as an unknown board (and definitely not as a Z-stick!). The Leonardo R3 by contrast correctly identifies itself as a Leonardo.

Since you could program the chip via the Mega, that suggests you can communicate with it via the TX0/RX0 pins which suggests it is working, so one wonders whether the issue is with the UART? Since you appear to be working on a Mac, if your Uno board is a clone, have you installed the CH340 driver?

Yes I did install the CH340 driver.

BitSeeker: Yup, agreed. I have a couple of clone boards and both report as an unknown board. (although not as a Z-stick!). The Leonardo R3 by contrast correctly identifies itself as a Leonardo.

Z-stick has nothing to do with Arduino ;)

BitSeeker: Since you could program the chip via the Mega, that suggests you can communicate with it via the TX0/RX0 pins which suggests it is working, so one wonders whether the issue is with the UART?

Not quite; burning a bootloader is done via ICSP. You however have a point that @fxguy526 can possibly use an external USB-to-TTL converter to keep on using the Uno.

fxguy526: So how do I troubleshoot the USB on the Uno?

No idea how to debug the USB. Bad cable (it's probably the same as you used for the Mega, so not likely), not properly inserted, bad socket on the Uno, some faulty adapter that is need when using Macs (not sure if you need to, I'm not a Mac user), ...

Do you have an option test on a Windows machine? You only have to check what happens in device manager, no installations needed unless you want to.

Once it's recognised and you can use it, we can look at the PU 'issue'; I have no idea, you might have to install a different so-called core.

sterretje: Not quite; burning a bootloader is done via ICSP. You however have a point that @fxguy526 can possibly use an external USB-to-TTL converter to keep on using the Uno.

My apologies. I did get muddled with that. Burning the bootloader is indeed done via ICSP using the SPI pins, not the TX0/RX0 pins. My intention was to show that to accept the bootloader the MCU must at least be functional which you have acknowledged. One thing to bear in mind when using an external UART is that one would have to manually hit RESET which has to be timed just right.

Well, I accessed a Windows machine and the mega2560 pops up under other devices but the uno not at all. It’s chimes when I disconnect but that’s it.

fxguy526:
Well, I accessed a Windows machine and the mega2560 pops up under other devices but the uno not at all. It’s chimes when I disconnect but that’s it.

I’m more interested in the Uno :smiley: