Help with Elegoo ATMega2560

I recently bought a Mega2560 from Elegoo
Mega 2560 The Most Complete Starter Kit – ELEGOO US
When I try to download the actual Arduino app (which I used to have on my old laptop, but after that broke haven't used the arduino in a few months) the app would close itself after a few seconds.
So I tried to go with the in-browser version of their app.
After downloading the Cloud Agent it still says that cloud agent is not found when I click on the board name.
I have restarted the board.
It also apparently doesn't recognize that the board is plugged in. Pretty sure the cable isn't broken (just got a new one from staples) and the board worked smoothly last I used it.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hi @ethan_kuruvilla. I'm glad you're back to working on Arduino projects!

Please add a forum reply here to tell us which operating system you are using (e.g., "Windows").

Please also tell us which web browser you are using (e.g., "Chrome").

I ask for this information so that we can give you the appropriate instructions for your operating system.

This is expected when Arduino Cloud Agent isn't recognized.

Arduino Cloud Agent acts as the "bridge" between the boards connected to your computer via a USB cable and the Arduino Cloud website. The website doesn't have any way of knowing which boards are connected to your computer on its own, so instead relies on Arduino Cloud Agent to provide it this information. So if it can't communicate with Arduino Cloud Agent, then it won't recognize any boards as being connected to your computer.

So we need to focus on solving the "cloud agent is not found" problem. Once that is solved, the "doesn't recognize that the board is plugged in" problem should also be resolved.

Just as a side note - I have gifted a few times some elegoo kits with the mega and they always worked flawlessly wether on windows or Mac or Linux.

If I remember correctly, Elegoo's Mega 2560 uses a CH340G chip instead of the official ATmega16U2, so Windows needs the CH340 driver (while macOS and most recent Linux distros already have it built in).

The problem can be a bad USB cable.

I'm using Microsoft Edge. My operating system is windows.
It's weird because when I click on the download agent button it tells me that the Agent is ready

However upon closing the tab it still says device not found and when I click on the red x it again says that the device and cloud agent are not found.
image

Yeah I found it to work quite well last year and didn't have any issues back then.
How would I know which chip mine had? Would that be printed on the chip?

I'm thinking it might be that now. The people in the Staples were not entirely confident that the cable would be able to send data.
However that still wouldn't explain the Cloud agent problem.

Do you see the Arduino Cloud Agent icon in the Windows "notification area"?:

The color of the icon on your computer might be different than in the graphic above, but it will look like an Arduino logo.

Thanks for the help.
It did end up fixing itself or something, I just turned it on one night and it worked again, which is weird but whatever if it works it works.

Thanks for taking the time to post an update. I'm glad it is working now.

Regards, Per