High resolution distance sensing on medium long distances?

Hi everyone!

Finally decided to make an account and start asking silly questions. I've been reading this forum for quite a while now as a guest.

I'm working on a project, in which I would need relatively high precision & resolution on ~1.4-3m distance. The detail of the results should be .-something of a millimeter. The goal is to detect the distance in millimeters and there are four different modules sensing distance to each other. In two tf them the working distance is 1400-1650mm, and the rest two are working 2000-3000mm apart. The reflecting surface can be altered to fit to desired sensor (IR, Laser, sonar etc). I'm even wondering, if I could get more precise result by using sensor on both ends, and calculating the average of each result.

If I were to use something like LV53L1x ToF-sensor, the resolution is just 1mm. Making calculations on 1mm resolution on each sensor, I end up with more than 1mm of overall deviation. Therefore I think I would need sensors of which resolution should be around 0.1-0-5mm? Anyone got any suggestions?

I saw this today (IDS3010 - Measurement becomes nano precise - YouTube) and I was wondering, whether there are any cheaper alternatives? I'm hoping for price range under 25€/sensor. (Ideally even under 10€) That would keep my overall budget somewhat reasonable.

Best Regards
Kupsberg

I'm hoping for price range under 25€/sensor.

Not a chance, if you really need 1 mm accuracy. You should be looking at professional instruments.

Keep in mind that "resolution" and "accuracy" are two completely different concepts. The VL53L1X may have 1 mm resolution, but the accuracy is much worse than that.

trying to get high resolution with a slow clock speed is counterproductive. how much motion will you miss between measurements?

jremington:
Not a chance, if you really need 1 mm accuracy. You should be looking at professional instruments.

Keep in mind that “resolution” and “accuracy” are two completely different concepts. The VL53L1X may have 1 mm resolution, but the accuracy is much worse than that.

Yep, seems pretty hard to even get a sensor within the desired specs.

Yes, I’m aware of the differences of resolution, precision and accuracy. Sometimes, I admit, I mix them unintentially when speaking/writing.

Precision is important in this case, the maximum deviation of new measurements should stay within the desired 1mm tolerance every time. Accuracy is what I’m after, but I figure I might be able to create better accuracy if the resolution is just detailed enough and precision stays within 1mm.

Motion is irrelevant in this case. All the measurements are being done in somewhat fixed arrangement. After measurements there might happen small changes but if results update every few seconds it should be alright. Just not too long to frustrate the operating engineer. :smiley:

I’ve been digging in AliBaba-world and contacting some factories. We’ll see if we find a suitable option for the case. Truly hope so.

Thanks for the answers!

You should be able to improve your 1mm by averaging a whole bunch of measurements, since the 1mm if likely +- 1mm.

Paul

If I were to use something like LV53L1x ToF-sensor

Please copy and paste part numbers (or at least get them right). Its the VL53L1X sensor…

Better still paste in the URL to the datasheet…

It seems to have >1mm repeatability, and it doesn’t work well at all in “strong ambient light”
[ ie its not going to work in daylight ], and the error is +/-20mm in ideal dark conditions.

LIDAR/Laser rangefinder is the only option I think.