How screwed am I? (Failed solder attempt)

So, I had the bright idea to try and repacle the 2x3 header on my nfc shield with a passthrough one, so I could stack the shields.

Having removed the last shield with great difficulty, I found the solder still remained on the board, and without any tools to remove it, me being a clever chap tried to scrape it away with the soldering iron (I’m clever, I know :wink: )

I then realised I’d probably destroyed some tracks round the header (see pic), but decided to proceed anyway, attempting to solder the new header, which I couldn’t do. The solder would just not stick to the pins on the new header, it would just ball up.

I left it out, and now cannot upload programmes when the shield is plugged in. I’m feeling like I need a new one, but if theres any way I don’t then I’d be grateful if someone could share.

Hope you enjoyed reading, and am laughing at my apparent lack of any intelligence,

Tom

The pins accessed by that header are available at other locations on the board.

groundfungus: The pins accessed by that header are available at other locations on the board.

I've hooked up the pins 10-13 to the hardware SPI pins on my mega, but I get a timeout whenever I try to upload a program with the shield connected

Im looking at getting a new shield but the only ones I can find have the headers unsoldered, and with my shitty soldering iron I'm worried I'll mess the new one up too

Did you connect to the reset pin? Also, examine the area where the header was for solder bridges

groundfungus: Did you connect to the reset pin? Also, examine the area where the header was for solder bridges

Where do I connect the reset pin to on the arduino? I've googled it but can't seem to find an answer

Oh wow, that soldering job brought back memories :)

When you can, dump it and go for a temperature controlled station with esd protection. Those header pins :fearful: if you wanted to, scrape off the silk screen to get at the pcb tracks and if you really wanted to use jumper wire to repair them, it's time consuming though.

cjdelphi: Oh wow, that soldering job brought back memories :)

When you can, dump it and go for a temperature controlled station with esd protection. Those header pins :fearful: if you wanted to, scrape off the silk screen to get at the pcb tracks and if you really wanted to use jumper wire to repair them, it's time consuming though.

Yeah I'm on a budget but thinking about getting this - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/280757198381?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649#shId

Does it look okay? Or should I spend more? Probably won't use it that much after I'm done with this project, so don't want to spend ridiculous amounts.

Going to buy a new board, don't see any hope of rescuing this one. I'll chalk it up to experience.

dathtom: Where do I connect the reset pin to on the arduino?

Look over here

Regarding the tip about repairing by soldering thin wires to some tracks: That's a job for someone who has practiced a lot and has reasonable experience. I'm afraid you're not there yet. If i'm seeing it correctly, you have torn off all pads but one, and 3 tracks. One of those tracks disappears under a chip (these tracks have turned from white (lacquered) to black). That makes the rest of the trace very difficult to reach, unless you have a PCB layout where you can track those traces.

Further, the PCB is very likely to be double sided. Is there similar damage to the other side ?

MAS3:

dathtom: Where do I connect the reset pin to on the arduino?

Look over here

Regarding the tip about repairing by soldering thin wires to some tracks: That's a job for someone who has practiced a lot and has reasonable experience. I'm afraid you're not there yet. If i'm seeing it correctly, you have torn off all pads but one, and 3 tracks. One of those tracks disappears under a chip (these tracks have turned from white (lacquered) to black). That makes the rest of the trace very difficult to reach, unless you have a PCB layout where you can track those traces.

Further, the PCB is very likely to be double sided. Is there similar damage to the other side ?

Sorry, I've been ill so haven't had a chance to reply.

I've bought a new one, I doubt there's anything I can do.

I bought the soldering iron I linked which hopefully will be ok, after reading around I don't think the one I had before was hot enough, it wouldn't even melt the solder on direct contact.

Thanks for your help guys

Tom

I can see the atoms in your picture. Unfortunately, they are out of focus.

Seriously, please resample and crop when posting images. Most of us don't have 3000x2500 pixel monitors.