How to change font face in Arduino IDE 1.8.4

Hello,

I’ve installed Arduino 1.8.4 on my linux system (Archlinux x86_64) and would like to change the font of the editor area (not the font size!), because the default is not really readable.

How can I do it?

Thanks in advance,
Michael

• Click the link at the line following File > Preferences > Additional preferences can be edited directly in the file. This will open the .Arduino15 (or something like that) folder.
  • Exit the Arduino IDE
  • Open the file preferences.txt in a text editor.
  • Search for the line that starts with editor.font.
  • Change the first word following the equals sign on that line to the name of the font you want to use.
  • Save the file.
  • Start the Arduino IDE. The editor should now be using the font you chose.

Hello,

thanks a lot, it works...

The best font I’ve found is “Consolas” (on Windoze, that is). It is mono-spaced, so everything lines up neatly, and there is a very clear difference between a digit “1” and a lower-case L “l”. The font on this forum has no “serif” on the lower-case L, so it could be confused with the logical OR “|” - see? Very little difference between the 2. The standard mono-spaced font that Arduino IDE shows you has little if any difference in the way 1 and l are displayed. Consolas has clear and unambiguous differences between all 3 of those characters. I found that I had to increase the size a little, so to continue with pert’s suggestion above that line now reads, in my preferences.txt file, as:

editor.font=Consolas,plain,15

Yeah, I switched over to Consolas for everything. It's great to be able to see the difference between those characters and also very clear distinction between zero and capital letter O.

pert,

thanks man. I couldn't tolerate this font anymore. I also used Consolas. It seems better.

Thanks.

I'm glad if it was helpful. Enjoy! Per