How to connect bipolar stepper motor to Arduino with L297 and L298N drivers?

I've made a drive board featuring L297 and L298N stepper motor drivers by the schematics I found online and I'm not sure how to connect everything to the Arduino. I think I only need Clock pin, CW/CCW pin, and Enable(I could be wrong), also I'm wondering if I can use Stepper.h library with that driver board, and if I can, how would I define my stepper motor.
Thanks in advance!
Edit: I figured it out, and everything I assumed was correct, connect Clock an CW/CCW pins to let's say pin 8 and 9 on Arduino and define it with myStepper(stepsPerRevoultion, 8, 9); and use Stepper.h library like you would.

Which stepper motor are you going to drive with these brushed DC motor dinosaurs.
Leo..

That's a little unfair; the 298 was designed for use with steppers, but of course that was the steppers of the day.

I salvaged a couple of steppers from a Xerox copier many years ago, and ran them from a PC using the 297/298 board from the same machine. (Point being the 298 is ok to use with a matched stepper motor from many years ago.)

Modern stepper motors do need modern driver chips.

As OP obviously figured out, the 297 is the one that talks to the processor, with the processor providing direction and pulse, and it in turn takes care of the inputs to the 298.

The chips are still bjt dinosaurs, and modern mosfet-based drivers can drive the old high-impedance as well as the new low-impedance steppers, without wasting power into heat (what the L298 does).
Modern drivers, like the A2988, should also be cheaper than designing two chips on a circuitboard.
Leo..

Unless this is just a learning experience, you are wasting your time with the L297/298 combo, when you can get a modern, efficient microstepping MOSFET stepper driver for less than $10.

Pololu has the best selection, and they support their products.

Hi, @leo6002

Well done I hope you enjoyed the experience of building your own circuit and getting it working.
I have worked on stepper boards that use that combination and they work very well.

As remarked by others, it is an older technology and more efficient drivers are available, but I hope you learnt from the building experience.

Can you post a copy of the schematic please.

Tom... :smiley: :+1: :coffee: :australia:

Problem is that most modern steppers can't be driven by this combination,
That's why I asked for the stepper motor's electrical specifications in post#2.
Leo..

My point was that your post implied that the 298 was not a stepper driver even its day, and it was.

I wonder though if their vast availability even today is due to someone somewhere still churning them out, or are they nos?

1 Like

I have an L298N and it only reaches room temperature driving two DC motors.

What has that got to do with anything.
Leo..

You mentioned them getting hot.

Just leaving a remark.

Heat is a result of current through the H-bridge.
Typical volt drop (losses) of the ancient L298 is 2.55volt at 1 Amp and 3.7volt at 2Amp.
If you are driving a 500mA motor, then generated heat in the chip might only be 1watt.
But the chip could blow it's top if you power the chip from 12volt, and connect a 3 ohm low-impedance stepper to it. Then it has to dissipate more than 11 watt. And you have to be sure that that 2.7Amp is not going to damage your stepper.
A current controlled stepper driver doesn't have those problems.
Average stepper coil current is kept the same, independent of supply voltage and stepper speed.
Leo..