How to solder FPC connector (as a hobby user)

Hi

I have a collection of FPC connectors, and I have bought some connection PCBs for 2.54mm pins.

But I do not know how to solder the FPC 0.5mm connectors to the PCBs. By hot air?

And I discovered a (Wemos?) ESP32 board that tempts me to solder a FPC connector to:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Lolin-ESP32-OLED-wemos-for-Arduino-ESP32-OLED-WiFi-Modules-Bluetooth-Dual-ESP-32-ESP-32S/32807531243.html

https://forum.wemos.cc/topic/372/fake-wemos-lolin-esp32-with-oled

Can anybody tell me how to do this, or provide a link to information? Thank you.

Jean-Marc

Just look at the soldering in your photo. It is much the same as hand soldering a TQFP.

Sweep along the pins with plenty of solder and flux. Then tidy up with some desoldering wick. The technique is easier to watch on a tutorial video than to describe in words.

Visual inspection for good joints, no bridges.

Your example looks quite easy. Smaller pitches will be difficult.

David.

Thank you David

I will search for a tutorial, and maybe experiment with 1mm pitch first.
I have not yet received the board with OLED of my picture, but it looks like 1mm.

The motivation of my question is the many displays with FCC/FPC connections available, TFTs, OLEDs and e-paper. I am looking for options for connection to Arduinos.

There is a shield from Adafruit with RA8875 controller, but it is nearly as expensive as a 7" TFT with SPI.

And then there are inexpensive conversion boards from HDMI to LVDS or TTL, but this is more suited for Raspberry Pi than Arduinos.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/HDMI-VGA-2AV-LVDS-ACC-Lcd-Display-Controller-Board-module-Raspberry-Pi-Kit-for-7-8/32498046869.html

And for SPI e-paper from Dalian Good Display there is an adapter board DESTM32-S2

http://www.buy-lcd.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=56475&search=DESTM32-S2

that needs additional wiring to connect it e.g. to Wemos D1 mini.

I would hope that some company would produce an Arduino shield with the electronics and connector of the DESTM32-S2, either with standard Arduino pinout, or for Wemos D1 mini. But that market may be too small.

Jean-Marc Zingg

Just look at the Mcufriend shield pcb. There are several versions but each one is fairly universal. i.e. you can mount different modules onto a standard Uno shield that contains the necessary level converters.

Some have footprints for FPC connectors. They all have multiple footprints for soldered FPC.

You can steal their ideas and create your own pcb.

My eyesight and soldering skills are not too good. But I would be able to assemble one of those pcbs. Perhaps I would struggle with the very fine pitch FPC connector.

For prototyping purposes, there are several FPC to 2.54mm adapter pcbs. Personally, I would be happier with Uno Shield approach.

And if you want to use an ESP8266 style of board, there are never enough pins for parallel interface. So you are restricted to TFT modules with an SPI interface (or access to the IM# pins)
Alternatively, you do the Parallel to SPI abortion as witnessed on some 3.5" RPi displays.

David.

david_prentice:
Just look at the Mcufriend shield pcb. There are several versions but each one is fairly universal. i.e. you can mount different modules onto a standard Uno shield that contains the necessary level converters.

Some have footprints for FPC connectors. They all have multiple footprints for soldered FPC.

You can steal their ideas and create your own pcb.

My eyesight and soldering skills are not too good. But I would be able to assemble one of those pcbs. Perhaps I would struggle with the very fine pitch FPC connector.

For prototyping purposes, there are several FPC to 2.54mm adapter pcbs. Personally, I would be happier with Uno Shield approach.

And if you want to use an ESP8266 style of board, there are never enough pins for parallel interface. So you are restricted to TFT modules with an SPI interface (or access to the IM# pins)
Alternatively, you do the Parallel to SPI abortion as witnessed on some 3.5" RPi displays.

David.

David

That's why I like to profit from your knowledge and experience.

The idea to use one PCB of a display shield just did not pass through my head, although I was near with that OLED ESP32.

For my limited eyesight a big magnifying glass helps, but my brain is not used to it, and my fingers are not steady enough.

I only use SPI e-paper displays directly with ESP8266; it has just enough RAM to buffer the b/w image.

For parallel interface e-paper a STM32F407 is better suited, with its bigger RAM and more IO pins.
I just started with the demo board and example for parallel e-paper from Dalian Good Display.

Jean-Marc

Now I got the interconnection boards I recently ordered, and they come with the connector soldered to it.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/5-pcs-10P-20P-30P-40Pin-0-5mm-FFC-FPC-DIP-2-54-spacing-cable-adapter/32739836407.html

If you search for "fpc adapter board with connector" on AliExpress, you don't see many suppliers for boards with soldered connectors.

Jean-Marc