I fried a part on my Nano ...

Hi,

I bought a shield for my Nano in order to more easily access the pins of the Nano. Today I tried it and after connecting a 11V power source (battery) to the power connector of the shield it started to smoke and peng something burned through :slight_smile:

On one of the images of the upside down Nano you can see an arrow pointing to the burned part. What is it in order to get one and replace it on the board.

Thanks and regards for you comments

Look at the attached images of the shield.

Two more images

I would guess you killed it with reverse polarity. Thatโ€™s what I think happened and you can get an eagle file of that board to identify the part to buy a new one.

I would give it to you myself but I am not at my computer.

That's a tantalum capacitor. I would take a guess at reverse polarity as well, but testing the plug is what is needed.

There may be more than just the capacitor that is damaged that is not visible.

It appears that is a tantalum capacitor, which does imply you powered things wrong.

Time to buy a new board, maybe a genuine UNO REV3.

Do not recommend you try using it again as you might blow up something else. Put it in the garbage can.

The burned part is a 4.7uF/16volt tantalum capacitor. A bypass capacitor on the 5volt rail.

The Nano should work without it (remove it), unless you have connected a power supply with reverse polarity to the 5volt pin. Or maybe inserted the Nano the wrong way in that shield. In that case everything will be toast. Leo..

Hi,

Thanks everybody. As far as I know the polarity is positive on the inside and negative on the outside of the plug and so the inner pin of the jack (black part on the shield) is positive. I have used the same battery on my UNO and nothing happened this means my UNO worked perfectly.

Connecting the battery to the shield without NANO on the pins Vin and GND correctly marked I get a correct measuring positive voltage ...

Strange :astonished:

I wouldn't suggest trying the usb connector either at this stage. Check your battery pack. Make sure the positive voltage is in the center.

Not super common for a tantalum to up and burn without underlying cause, but I guess it can happen. You might try pulling it since you are using the regulator on the shield.

tinman13kup: I wouldn't suggest trying the usb connector either at this stage. Check your battery pack. Make sure the positive voltage is in the center.

That is how my Plug is wired.

Thanks

tinman13kup: Not super common for a tantalum to up and burn without underlying cause, but I guess it can happen. You might try pulling it since you are using the regulator on the shield.

I just put the NANO on a breadboard and tried to power it up using the Vin and GND pins but nothing happens. I have some tantalum caps here and will try to exchange it and see what happens on the next power up.

Thanks

Wawa: The burned part is a 4.7uF/16volt tantalum capacitor. A bypass capacitor on the 5volt rail.

The Nano should work without it (remove it), unless you have connected a power supply with reverse polarity to the 5volt pin. Or maybe inserted the Nano the wrong way in that shield. In that case everything will be toast. Leo..

Thank you WAWA. I placed the NANO with the USB connector jack facing the same side as the power Jack of the shield and before connecting it I compared the markings of the shield and the NANO.

Thanks

Perhaps it's a shield issue? Have you tried checking the pin headers for correct volt/ground without the nano installed?

rsfoto: Thank you WAWA. I placed the NANO with the USB connector jack facing the same side as the power Jack of the shield and before connecting it I compared the markings of the shield and the NANO.

Thanks

Perhaps I'm wrong, but looking at the shield it has the expanded pins on the upper side labeled from 0-13, with rx/tx on 0/1. Typical numbering goes CCW around the board, so that tells me the USB connector should be opposite of the shield plug-in

Disregard that. A quick look at a nano pinout shows it would be the way you had it, both plugs next to each other.

Still, there was a reason it burnt the capacitor, and evidently the whole board.

Did it burn the trace at the capacitor?

tinman13kup: Disregard that. A quick look at a nano pinout shows it would be the way you had it, both plugs next to each other.

Still, there was a reason it burnt the capacitor, and evidently the whole board.

Did it burn the trace at the capacitor?

Hi,

The PCB is intact, no burned traces on it. Just the Cap is black in the middle of it as you can see in my image.

Thanks and regards

tinman13kup: Perhaps it's a shield issue? Have you tried checking the pin headers for correct volt/ground without the nano installed?

Hi tinman13kup,

I assume every row labeled with G and V should deliver 5 V or which pins should deliver 5V. I also see some pins labeled with 3V3 which should deliver 3.3V against ground. Right ?

I just measured all pins and all the rows labeled with V and G deliver around 150mV. The ones labeled with 5V and 3V3 do not deliver anything.

The only pins which deliver voltage are Vin and GND which connect to the NANO.

So I guess this board was defective ... Another experience with a total cost of US $ 7.50 :-)

Thanks and regards Rainer

I've been looking at the shield and cannot make sense of the traces. The big tab at the top of the AMS1117 is the output , which also attaches to the center on the bottom. The bottom right pin is the input, which appears to go to all the 5V pins, and back down towards the front to the diode/capacitors and input plug.

It could just be the angle distortion, but the general layout doesn't look correct. Can you track the input voltage from the connector? The pin on the back of the black housing is positive, and the side is negative.

So, I realize this was a while ago, but did you ever get to a final conclusion? The reason I ask is that I just did something kinda similar.

I had a breadboard setup working with a nano and moved it to a shield I got from Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07GMC7QLY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02__o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I plugged a 12V DC transformer into it and nothing happened. I took it back over to my confuser and plugged the into the usb port on the nano and the magic smoke appeared. The nano appears to be fine but the shield has burn marks on the bottom.

Perhaps powering the nano via usb when it's plugged into the shield was a no-no that I just learned!

Thoughts?