Is Arduino suitable for my project

Hello,

I'm in the process of developing some electronics for a business venture.

This dev kit seems perfect for the job and my limited electrical experience.

What I would like to know is can Arduino be used to control the following devices:

Speaker

Wifi antennas

Socket extensions

The reason I ask is that ultimately it would be great if I could actually use Arduino to control a prototype product which would be connected to the mains in the UK and controlled over wifi using a smart phone app.

Any advice would be great

T1m_2k2: Hello,

I'm in the process of developing some electronics for a business venture.

This dev kit seems perfect for the job and my limited electrical experience.

What I would like to know is can Arduino be used to control the following devices:

Speaker

Wifi antennas

Socket extensions

The reason I ask is that ultimately it would be great if I could actually use Arduino to control a prototype product which would be connected to the mains in the UK and controlled over wifi using a smart phone app.

Any advice would be great

Broad question gets broad answer... In theory an Arduino can be used to control "anything", given the right interface.

What are "socket extensions" ?

When you say "connected to the mains in the UK" do you mean that it is powered from the mains, OR that it controls mains powered devices.

If it is the latter, and if it is to be a commercial product, it will need safety certification - which is well beyond the scope of advice you will get here. It would probably be advisable to get preliminary advice on certification requirements before you spend much time on the project. Certification could be very expensive but their may be Government aid for new businesses.

...R

Hello,

Thanks for your advice.

What i mean by a socket extension is a multi plug adapter for sockets. Ideally i would like Arduino to be power by the mains. However i also want to include a socket extension, so that users will be able to plug things in without having to go to the wall. Clearly my electronics know how is limited here.

I'm just worried about spending time learning this product and then it not being suitable for my final goal.

Thanks!

What do you want to do with a speaker? The Arduino can do some limited sounds, such as the tone() function, but it's not capable of multiphonic music or speech.

What do you want to do with a wifi antenna?

I'm in the process of developing some electronics for a business venture

This is what caught my eye from your original post.

The Arduino is probably perfectly capable of controlling the things you want to control.

But you will need to take professional advice about what is required for formal electrical safety certification. And if someone on the Forum offers advice about this I strongly suggest you ignore it unless s/he can clearly show that s/he is qualified and authorized to give that advice.

I can't see any reason why Atmel microprocessors would not be acceptable and I can't see any reason why you should be precluded from programming them with the Arduino system. But I doubt if an off-the-shelf Arduino board such as an Uno would be considered to be an acceptable part of a system.

...R

Thanks Robin2,

you've been very helpful, as you've pointed out long term I need to develop more understanding and professional certification. But short term it sound like the starter kit will be perfect to get me started and I can build up more advanced hardware as I go.

Thanks again.

Also @MorganS my plan is to use a speaker for alarm clock and perhaps music.

The Wi-Fi antenna is to send commands from an app I'm also developing so that I can control said alarm clock from a smart phone or tablet

Cheers

I have no information about your programming or business experience.

If you are thinking of professional certification it will usually make life easier if you build a relationship with the certification body while you are developing your project rather than presenting them with a finished product. If you are a new entrepreneur you will probably find them extremely helpful.

Of course I am not saying that you involve them in the early stages of learning how to program an Arduino.

...R

I see Robin2 talking about the certification of the final product, and the OP thinking of a 'profesional certification' like it's some kind of degree or something.....

mixographer: I see Robin2 talking about the certification of the final product, and the OP thinking of a 'profesional certification' like it's some kind of degree or something.....

Thanks for this. I hope I have not been misleading. I have been referring all along to certification of the product.

...R