landslide detection

Hi, I’m only new to arduino but seeing how cool is it makes me want to do a project from it. I have watched some tutorials on 2 arduinos to talk to its other via wireless communication using xbee, and that give me idea that maybe we can use arduino for our Thesis a year from now. The suggested topic is about landslide detection so I’m planning of instead of using motes we will use arduino with some sensors (vibration sensor, pressure sensors, etc.) to detect movement of the ground and send the data in wireless to another arduino that is connected to a computer where u can visualize the data gathered.See attachment.

Just want to ask if it this is possible. And if it is can u help us on how to do it. We got lot of time on finding ways to make it possible so we want to take it slowly but if you have suggestions we will greatly appreciate it. Thanks

ard network.jpg

One more thing can Processing be able to visualize data from each arduino?

Check first on the usable range for those modules. You might end up covering only a small area.

In the old forum you'll find also quite a few postings about remote data acquisition stations (mostly weather) and what kind of problems are need to be solved (power, communication, weather proofing, vandalism, theft)

Korman

for the moment we will try first the modules with 100m range, then when everything works fine we will change it to those with 1mile range

leinarity: for the moment we will try first the modules with 100m range, then when everything works fine we will change it to those with 1mile range

Forget it, that won't work reliably at those ranges.

Korman

What type of landslide? There are different "modes".

You may want to consider "slip" so you need "distance between". Maybe a sub centimeter GPS? :D

Maybe a string stretched between the unit attached to a strain gauge? You do have to worry about temperature variance -- but that might work.

Maybe a preliminary design might help. This is not a trivial project.

hello guys i'm also interested with this project? can you suggest how can i make this work? i'm planning to put vibration senor, moisture senor. can you give me a link of good quality senors that i can use?