LCD 1602

I was recently introduced to the arduino board, so I am not yet very skilled.

I have been trying to use my LCD to display some text for quite a while now. I have followed several set ups found online but finally settled with the one attached as it was the one provided my SUNFOUNDER, from whom I bought my kit. After 5 tries and countless frustrating hours I could get it to display any text at all.

I know the variable register works, as I can adjust the contrast, but the text are not displayed.

I have attached a picture of my set up, a copy of my code and the display at max and min contrast after the code has been uploaded.

I appreciate any help given. I have been meaning to start a project but this bump has turned into a wall.

LCD1602.ino (1.59 KB)

You must solder the header pins to your LCD module.

Don

Is that a must? The display backlights only appear when it's connected to the board and disappear when
I take it away which makes me think the LCD does get connected.

It would be very difficult for me to get a soldering machine. Is there an alternative?

Thanks for the quick reply. :slight_smile:

Yes, ask a friend to solder it for you.

Or buy a LCD that has already got an I2C backpack soldered to it.

David.

Most important tool is a multimeter, next would be a soldering iron.

fourthparameter:
Is that a must?

Of course not. It is only required if you want the display to work. :grinning:

fourthparameter:
The display backlights only appear when it's connected to the board and disappear when I take it away which makes me think the LCD does get connected.

You may think it does, but that only indicates two connections, at one end, where they are most likely to touch in the correct fashion.

fourthparameter:
It would be very difficult for me to get a soldering machine. Is there an alternative?

Yes. You have a display that does not work.

Working with this sort of electronics without at a minimum a soldering iron with a small tip and a multimeter (neither is very expensive) is like trying to work on your car with a hammer - you are not likely to be very happy with the results.

I found one at my friend’s. I will give it a go. Thanks again. This forum is very responsive; I like it.

A soldering iron or a DMM ?

Most Ebay modules can be bought with ready-soldered header pins.
Buy a pack of ready-made jumper cables. You can make reliable connections without soldering.

You can probably live without a soldering iron. Just keep a good friend.

A $5 DMM is not going to break the bank. You need to spend a lot more money on soldering equipment as well as doing a lot of practice. Perhaps your friend will give you some lessons.

David.

david_prentice:
Most eBay modules can be bought with ready-soldered header pins.

These LCDs being a general exception. They either come with an I2C backpack soldered (and the backpacks generally come with a pin header) or just the plated-through holes.

Got it soldered. Now it works perfectly. Thanks a lot guys!