LED options

Morning guys and gals.

I know this idea loaded question, but what are some "goto" led choices.
We have been using the 3w cree stars with our arduino unos and 4 channel relay shield. And they work fine and are plenty bright enough for our homemade stacklights.

However, always interested in other options and ideas.

Using the uno and the relay shield, does anyone have suggestions?
I would consider using anything 12v and under but 5v input would be ideal.

Anyways, been looking around, just thought I'd ask
Thanks!

LED choices for what?

Just looking impossible better, brighter options for our homemade stacklights

The stack light I have on my desk right now just some with an array of basic SMD leds, nothing fancy. The most fancy part is the constant current driver which makes it work with AC and DC from (I think) 12V to 26V or so.

We have been using the 3w cree stars with our arduino unos and 4 channel relay shield. And they work fine and are plenty bright enough for our homemade stacklights.

I would consider using anything 12v and under but 5v input would be ideal.

LEDs should NOT be powered by "regular" constant-voltage power supplies. You can burn-up the power supply and/or the LED. They are powered with a special [u]constant current power supply[/u].

Regular little 20mA LEDs use a [u]current limiting resistor[/u], but that's not correct for a high-power LED. (If you want to do it that way, calculate the power dissipated in the resistor and use an appropriately rated resistor.)

If the power needs to be controlled/dimmed there are power supplies with a 0-10V (low-power, low-current) control-input so you don't need a relay. (And, you don't want a relay on the output of a constant current power supply because with the relay off/open it's trying to push current through an infinite resistance.)

Yes, I see your point. And no dimming is needed. Strictly, on/off. When we were teating the unit we used the arduino to trigger the relay and the 3w leds just powered off a coin battery and resistor. Crude setup but got us through the testing.

That being said, does anyone have suggestions for?

I really am asking for thoughts, what do others use as panel indicators? Stack lights or signal lights?

Neopixels or Dotstars led strips.

Maybe no 3W leds each… but you make up for it in volume/quantity…

They also run of +5v… (no relay required any more)…

You also get the advantage of RGB lighting now…

Depending on your needs/choice… they are run off of 1-wire… or 2-wires… (not including power/ground)

As indicator light? Most of the time simply:

Just ordered a few of the neo pixel , will see how it looks. Thanks.

Looks interesting!