looking for an alternative 16MHz crystal (not SMD)

to build the arduino uno rev 3 according to the BOM i found, i need this: http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/CSTCE16M0V53-R0/490-1198-2-ND/584406

the problem is that i can't solder it myself instead i'm looking for a through hold crystal with the same properties that will work without any problem.

Do you need it to have the same footprint, and work without additional capacitors? If so, I don't know and can't help. If you have some latitude with the layout and additional components, I think that the crystal that serves the ATMega16U2 on the same board, along with a pair of 22 pF capacitors, would be a reasonable selection. It should appear on that same BOM.

You can use any crystal but the crystal needs additional capacitors ~22pF if compare with resonator.

Budvar10: You can use any crystal but the crystal needs additional capacitors ~22pF if compare with resonator.

how about this crystal?: http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/ECS-160-20-4X/X1103-ND/827594

the problem is that the original crystal used in the arduino is SMT and i don't like it because i need to solder it myself, and i'm a begginer. i need equivalent crystal that is the simple to solder the crystal on the link is with:

Load Capacitance 20pF ESR (Equivalent Series Resistance) 40 Ohm

will it work without any problem?

Yes, this one OK. I could be good to read this: http://www.lpcware.com/content/faq/how-calculate-value-crystal-load-capacitors.

…or better: Choosing the Right Crystal and Caps for your Design « Adafruit Industries – Makers, hackers, artists, designers and engineers!.

Budvar10: ...or better: https://blog.adafruit.com/2012/01/24/choosing-the-right-crystal-and-caps-for-your-design/.

thank you for your help i'm just a begginer with this Board Design thing calculating this is a little too much for me to handle in this stage, i'm not designing this PCB, just attempting to make a Arduino replica please let me know if the crystal that i posted earlier is still ok so i will order it http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/ECS-160-20-4X/X1103-ND/827594

Load Capacitance 20pF ESR (Equivalent Series Resistance) 40 Ohm

calculating this is a little too much for me to handle in this stage, i'm not designing this PCB, just attempting to make a Arduino replica

Oh no, it is very easy and clearly explained. Just read whole article and use this:

C1, C2 = 2*CL – 2*Cstray

to calculate (e.g. C1,C2 = 2*20-8 = 16pF each). I'm supposing you understand basic school math.

Kinda pricey.
I usually go for the 30 ppm devices, 18pF for 39 cents.
http://www.digikey.com/product-search/en?FV=fff4000d%2Cfff8016d%2C1140050%2C22c0011&k=16+MHz+crystal&mnonly=0&newproducts=0&ColumnSort=1000011&page=1&stock=1&pbfree=0&rohs=0&quantity=&ptm=0&fid=0&pageSize=25
Works well with 22pF caps.
Or these
http://www.dipmicro.com/store/XC7-16000
Or these

Stock up on other parts while you’re at it. Some blank 328Ps, 22pF caps, 0.1uF caps, 10K resistors, etc. Maybe some 28 pin sockets, couple pieces of perfboard, some LEDs and 270/330/1K resistors. Buttons, pots. Some shift registers, other parts you can think of that might be handy.
I once bought a huge bag of stuff, all kinds of parts, $46 for everything. Still working thru those for projects.

Budvar10: Oh no, it is very easy and clearly explained. Just read whole article and use this: to calculate (e.g. C1,C2 = 2*20-8 = 16pF each). I'm supposing you understand basic school math.

is it ok if the CL will be lower then the Load Cap of the crystal say if i calculated CL=16pf using x2 22pf capacitors and on the crystal that i found the load cap is 20pf ?

Yes. See the datasheet. For '328P:

9.3 Low Power Crystal Oscillator Pins XTAL1 and XTAL2 are input and output, respectively, of an inverting amplifier which can be configured for use as an On-chip Oscillator, as shown in Figure 9-2 on page 28. Either a quartz crystal or a ceramic resonator may be used. This Crystal Oscillator is a low power oscillator, with reduced voltage swing on the XTAL2 output. It gives the lowest power consumption, but is not capable of driving other clock inputs, and may be more susceptible to noise in noisy environments. In these cases, refer to the ”Full Swing Crystal Oscillator” on page 29. C1 and C2 should always be equal for both crystals and resonators. The optimal value of the capacitors depends on the crystal or resonator in use, the amount of stray capacitance, and the electromagnetic noise of the environment. Some initial guidelines for choosing capacitors for use with crystals are given in Table 9-3 on page 28. For ceramic resonators, the capacitor values given by the manufacturer should be used. [table shows 12-22pF for0.9 to 16 MHz operation, with different fuse settings.]

9.4 Full Swing Crystal Oscillator Pins XTAL1 and XTAL2 are input and output, respectively, of an inverting amplifier which can be configured for use as an On-chip Oscillator, as shown in Figure 9-2 on page 28. Either a quartz crystal or a ceramic resonator may be used. This Crystal Oscillator is a full swing oscillator, with rail-to-rail swing on the XTAL2 output. This is useful for driving other clock inputs and in noisy environments. The current consumption is higher than the ”Low Power Crystal Oscillator” on page 28. Note that the Full Swing Crystal Oscillator will only operate for VCC = 2.7 - 5.5 volts. C1 and C2 should always be equal for both crystals and resonators. The optimal value of the capacitors depends on the crystal or resonator in use, the amount of stray capacitance, and the electromagnetic noise of the environment. Some initial guidelines for choosing capacitors for use with crystals are given in Table 9-6 on page 30. For ceramic resonators, the capacitor values given by the manufacturer should be used. [table shows 12-22pF for0.4 to 20 MHz operation, with just one fuse setting.]

See also 4.2, 4.3 of the attached.

4.2 General about crystals and ceramic resonators

atmel-AVR042-avr-hardware-design-considerations_application-note 7-2013.pdf (758 KB)

I just realized, I bought several of those crystals from Tayda. I installed one in place of a resonator on the RBBB from Modern Device. It works, but there are no capacitors. ?

I think I need to swap in the resonator that came with the kit.

C2: It works, but there are no capacitors. ?

Sure, just not reliably.

@KobiAflalo

is it ok if the CL will be lower then the Load Cap of the crystal say if i calculated CL=16pf using x2 22pf capacitors and on the crystal that i found the load cap is 20pf

Look out, CL in the formula is load capacity of the crystal - the value for datasheet - 20pF in your case! The problem is to choose Cstray. In the article they say: something between 2-5pF. It is little bit like "the constant form belly". I choose 4pF (middle high) so the result is C1, C2 = 2*20-2*8 = 16pF. The datasheet says 12-22pF. Our value is in interval. My experience is that it is not such critical value and everything between 12-22pF should work. Even though it is better to evaluate more exact value than to use random. The capacitors have a tolerance. They have not so accurate value. I think, 22pF is fine but better could be little bit less: 15pF or 18pF.