Mac - duemilanove 328 - port not showing

Hi
I am completely new to Arduino. I have installed the software, connected my board (duemilanove 328) via a usb cable to a mac pro (10.7.3), the green light is on BUT I do not see a usb port in the list (only 6 bluetooth ports are there). Do I need to install a driver? What can be the problem?
Thank you for your assistance.
Paul

The short answer is: yes, you need to install the FTDI drivers.

See this for details: http://arduino.cc/en/Guide/MacOSX#toc3

The link indicated in the 'get started' guide does not work from South Africa!
http://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/VCP.htm
Is there an alternative?

paulgodard:
The link indicated in the 'get started' guide does not work from South Africa!
VCP Drivers - FTDI
Is there an alternative?

Attached.

FTDIUSBSerialDriver_v2_2_17.dmg (421 KB)

After updating my IDE, I ran into a similar problem, and I've tried reinstalling the FTDI driver, then restarting the computer twice.

I'm running a MacBook Pro w/ OSX 10.6.8, trying to upload to a Duemilanove 328. The USB port is not showing on the Tools > Serial port list, only the bluetooth devices (i.e., /dev/tty.Bluetooth-PDA-Sync, /dev/cu.Bluetooth-PDA-Sync, /dev/tty.Bluetooth-Modem, /dev/cu.Bluetooth.Modem).

Wouldn't be so broken up about it except that I'm having the same or a similar problem on my (fairly recent) Ubuntu install. After working for some time with no problems, I upgraded to the latest version of the IDE and now it won't recognize my USB port(s).

Any suggestions would be helpful.

Edit: And I've been through the troubleshooting guide several times, and unless I'm misreading something, it's not addressing my problem.

The IDE version has nothing to do with if the FTDI drivers work.

If have two different operating systems that cannot see the board, there is something wrong with the FTDI chip on the board.

On either OSX or Linux you can do:
ls /dev/tty.usb*

To see if a usbserial device associated with the FTDI chip appears. If it does but that does not show up in the IDE, then something in the operating system is preventing the IDE from seeing the board.

That's what I had thought, but the only thing that has changed between when I could upload under either OS and when I could not was the update (I foolishly updated both OSes at the same time).

What's weird is that the first time I tried reinstalling the FTDI driver, and then restarted the IDE, at first there were two USB ports showing. I tried using one, and it failed. Then when I went to try the other, both had disappeared from the list.

One other thing changed between working and not working, and that is that I disconnected one of the two USB cables I was using on the Ubuntu machine so that I could try to upload from the Mac. But it was not the one connected to the port I had been using to upload from the Ubuntu machine to the Duemilanove, so it shouldn't have any effect.

I'll try polling for the device as suggested when I get a chance.

Thanks for your help.

You might also run "dmesg" on both machines right after attaching the device to see if they are failing enumeration.

Alright, so I have a bonehead confession to make. I got some wires crossed in my breadboard and may have done some damage, though it's looking better now.

This is what was preventing both computers from recognizing the unit (I think). Thanks for the advice. Sorry for being a n00b.

jpatterson:
I got some wires crossed in my Due and may have done some damage, though it's looking better now.

You might want to edit your post to say Duemilanove instead of "Due". The "Due" is an upcoming board. Future searches may confuse some people.

I have a Duemilanove 328 which I've connected to a MacBook Pro running OS X 10.8.5 and I'm experiencing the same problem where the IDE isn't displaying the serial ports. I'm also unable to find the right FTDI driver that's compatible with my OS version and Intel Core i7 processor. Help?

There is a link above and I attached the drivers to a post. I see no reason to do it again.