Make a arduino universal remote controller

Hi everyone, my name is Ling, I'm trying to do a remote control project now and i have to ask a kinda stupid question.

in a video like this.

he's controlling the TV with this self-made remote control, what i dont understand is, the remote is not connected to the arduino board or IDE, so how does the TV know what function does each button do.

i know its probabaly because i dont have a lot of base knowledge of this project. but still would appreciate some help and explanation. its really urgent for me to learn this.

If you fast forward the video to 7:48 you will see that he has built an ATMEGA328PU into the controller.

lingsun:
how does the TV know what function does each button do.

The remote control has to know which code to send for each TV function. Use the original control and record the code for each key, then make your control send these codes as well.

ardly:
If you fast forward the video to 7:48 you will see that he has built an ATMEGA328PU into the controller.

does it mean ATmega 328 replaced ardiuno as a microcontroller?

The “Report To Moderator” is NOT a reply button LOL.

Bob.

ballscrewbob:
The "Report To Moderator" is NOT a reply button LOL.

Bob.

realized after sent, sry @Ardly

Here is an article that I used as the basis for a better remote for my TV. It includes the code for capturing the IR code from the existing remote, and code for sending the captured IR code to the TV.

Start there.

The ATmega328P-PU is the microcontroller chip that is used in the Arduino Uno and is (from a programming point of view) identical to that found in the Arduino Nano, Arduino Mini etc.
If you don’t get exactly the right chip, you may have difficulty loading a program to it because it’s device signature may not be thes same as used in Arduinos.

6v6gt:
The ATmega328P-PU is the microcontroller chip that is used in the Arduino Uno and is (from a programming point of view) identical to that found in the Arduino Nano, Arduino Mini etc.
If you don’t get exactly the right chip, you may have difficulty loading a program to it because it’s device signature may not be thes same as used in Arduinos.

im sorry, im still confused, as he used arduino uno at the start of the video, does it mean that he replaced uno with ATmaga at last? do they realize the same function?

The Arduino family of boards allows to develop code on one system, typically Uno, and then let it run on a different target system, with a possibly different controller chip.

lingsun:
im sorry, im still confused, as he used arduino uno at the start of the video, does it mean that he replaced uno with ATmaga at last? do they realize the same function?

It is confusing because in components list at the beginning of the video, he mentions an Arduino Uno but then specifies some components which are already included with the Uno such as the two 22pF capacitors, the 16MHz crystal and the 28 pin IC socket. He also omits some components such as the resistor for the IR led.

The project consists of 2 parts, an Arduino Uno and IR receiver (TSOP1738) on a breadboard which is used to "learn" the codes from the television etc. remote control device. This is all not shown in the schematic diagram.

There is a second part which uses an ATMega328P-PU chip, IR Led, buttons, etc. built on a solder board. This is the actual remote control device and is loaded with a program which includes the codes learned from the first part of the project. This part is shown in the schematic (but the main chip has the wrong part number for a Uno chip - I mentioned that originally because that part specified cannot be programmed without an addition to the Arduino development system).

It may well all work, but the video is not very well structured and, anyway, a video is not the best way of describing a whole project. A video has its use, however, for "showcasing" an already well documented project.