Measuring accu capacity with an INA219

Hello dear forum members,

I hope I’am posting in the right category but I have a problem that most likely relates more to my “circuit” and the lack of understanding and less to programming.

What I try to do: I would like to actively drain a rechargeable battery until the voltage reaches a certain level, and monitor the current consumed during that time. So I bought an INA912 module and connected it as shown in the attached picture of my breadboard (I of course left away the USB>RS232 communication, and the 5V power supply for the Arduino).

Now what I assumed was that if i run the out-of-the box INA219 get current example that i would get:

• the correct voltage of the battery
  • and the current flow

(I planned to use a MosFet to disconnect the battery from getting drained, when falling under a pre-defined voltage level - but that is not of relevance for my problem).

Now what happens when I use the circuit below (100 Ohm Resistor, different power sources) is the following (VIN- floating means, I removed the orange wire connecting it via resistor to the ground)

Connecting a 5V regulator:
VIN- floating:
Bus Voltage: 4.97 V
Shunt Voltage: -0.03 mV
Load Voltage: 4.97 V
Current: -0.40 mA

VIN- connected to ground via 100 Ohm resistor
Bus Voltage: 4.78 V
Shunt Voltage: 4.46 mV
Load Voltage: 4.79 V
Current: 44.60 mA

Connecting a fully charged LiPo cell (4.06V):
VIN- floating:
Bus Voltage: 4.06 V
Shunt Voltage: -0.06 mV
Load Voltage: 4.06 V
Current: -0.50 mA

VIN- connected to ground via 100 Ohm resistor
Bus Voltage: 3.93 V
Shunt Voltage: 3.79 mV
Load Voltage: 3.94 V
Current: 37.40 mA

I observe a decrease in the measured bus voltage. If I take my voltmeter I can not confirm that voltage drop at this little load. But it get’s worse: To drain a 2.000mAh battery, I would like to take smaller resistors to increase current flow. If I go down the discrepancy gets always bigger:

4,04V LiPo Cell with 50 Ohm resistor (not severe)
Bus Voltage: 3.93 V < my voltmeter measures still 4.04V
Shunt Voltage: 8.00 mV
Load Voltage: 3.95 V
Current: 79.50 mA

4,04V LiPo Cell with 33 Ohm resistor
Bus Voltage: 3.75 V < my voltmeter measures 4.034V
Shunt Voltage: 11.30 mV
Load Voltage: 3.76 V
Current: 113.90 mA

What am I doing wrong ? With this heavy difference between real voltage of the battery and the measured voltage, I would instantly disconnect the battery because when I want to drain like 250mA, the INA912 would report me a voltage so low, that I’d assume the battery is empty.

First off, you need to rotate the processor board 90deg on your breadboard given the current position shown is shorting the pins in the 4 strips into which they are inserted.

The Arduino is not measuring voltage, only current, if you want to measure voltage you will have to power the Arduino separately or use the internal 1.1 volt VREF.
The voltage of a power source is naturally going to fall when the load is increased, the amount of sag depends on the source’s capacity and the magnitude of load.

Hi 756E6C,

just to make sure:

• the arduino is powered separately using an external DC power source with 5.0 V

• the reported voltage is wrong, as I measured it with a working voltmeter and I did not increase the drain to a level, that should cause the power source to fall (even another 5V regulator connected to Vin+/Vin- that delivers 2A falls at a load of 44.6mA, which is unplausible)

as far as I got it, the arduino is querying the INA219 Board via I2C Bus, and the INA219 on board is returning both: voltage and current, so i should be able to measure both.

If you are measuring the voltage at the orange wire, you are measuring the voltage AFTER the current sensing resistor in the INA219, of course it will be lower, you need to measure the supply voltage at the VIN+ pin.
Might come down to "who do you trust", your meter or the INA219.

considering the description of the INA219 it reports as voltage the difference between VIN+ and GND of the board ... so it should report the right voltage - and even if it would measure after the little 0,1Ohm shunt resistor, as you can see from the use-case: