measuring wind speed

hello everyone

Im new in the world of arduino.

I am working on a small project of measuring the speed and direction of wind using ultrasonic sensor. Im planning to place 2 pair of hc-sr04 sensor facing each other.

My question is if it is possible to use the emitter on the 1st senor on the receptor of the a 2nd sensor. if yes, how is it possible?

sensor 1 (emitter) - sensor 2 (receptor) sensor 2 (emitter) - sensor 1 (receptor)

Thank you

How will that measure wind speed?

using the idea of Distance=speed * time

the distance is fixed, the time will varry from the disturbance of wind and thus we can calculate the speed.

Does the speed of sound vary that greatly with wind speed? You'd either need something capable of far more precise timing than an Arduino or you'd need the sensors to be so far apart that those particular type of sensors would never work.

the wind speed can be obtain by a formula [windspeed=speedofsound - (distance/time)] theoretically.

im not sure if its going work!! do you have any idea what i can do?

bilaalbar: the wind speed can be obtain by a formula [windspeed=speedofsound - (distance/time)] theoretically.

Where did you get that? Can you explain physically how it is supposed to work?

Perhaps this thread might help? Ultrasonic anemometers are definitely a thing- for the professional version see http://gillinstruments.com/products/anemometer/anemometer.htm

Here's a link to a project doing this

https://soldernerd.com/2014/11/14/arduino-ultrasonic-anemometer-part-1-getting-started/

Bill

My question is if it is possible to use the emitter on the 1st senor on the receptor of the a 2nd sensor.

Not possible with HC-SR04 sensors.

I think you have to use phase information to get good resolution for this kind of sensor, not time-of-flight, but that's only a hunch. So a limiting amp on the sensor followed with a phase detector comparing with the tx signal...

For direction you'd use two sensor pairs at right angles and time-division multiplex them I think - the devices are too directional for a single isotropic transmitter I believe.