MPU6050 accelerometer Z value doesn't change

I’m trying to make a project in sensor fusion where I use a accel and gyro to get my position in space, but before I get there I’m trying to just read the sensor values, I’ve wrote my own code, but also used other peoples and in all cases the value in Z doesn’t change. I’ve read about yaw drift, but i believe it’s something that happens with the gyro not the accel.

#include <Wire.h>

long accelX, accelY, accelZ;
float gForceX, gForceY, gForceZ;

long gyroXCalli = 0, gyroYCalli = 0, gyroZCalli = 0;
long gyroXPresent = 0, gyroYPresent = 0, gyroZPresent = 0;
long gyroXPast = 0, gyroYPast = 0, gyroZPast = 0;
float rotX, rotY, rotZ;

float angelX = 0, angelY = 0, angelZ = 0;

long timePast = 0;
long timePresent = 0;

void setup() {
  Serial.begin(9600);
  Wire.begin();
  setUpMPU();
  callibrateGyroValues();
  timePresent = millis();
}

void loop() {
//  Serial.print(" Accel (g)");
//  readAndProcessAccelData();
//  readAndProcessGyroData();
readAndProcessAccelData();
getGyroValues();
  printData();
  delay(500);
}

void setUpMPU() {
  // power management
  Wire.beginTransmission(0b1101000);          // Start the communication by using address of MPU
  Wire.write(0x6B);                           // Access the power management register
  Wire.write(0b00000000);                     // Set sleep = 0
  Wire.endTransmission();                     // End the communication

// configure gyro
  Wire.beginTransmission(0b1101000);
  Wire.write(0x1B);                           // Access the gyro configuration register
  Wire.write(0b00000000);
  Wire.endTransmission();

// configure accelerometer
  Wire.write(0x1C);                           // Access the accelerometer configuration register
  Wire.write(0b00000000);
  Wire.endTransmission();  
}

void callibrateGyroValues() {
    for (int i=0; i<5000; i++) {
      getGyroValues();
      gyroXCalli = gyroXCalli + gyroXPresent;
      gyroYCalli = gyroYCalli + gyroYPresent;
      gyroZCalli = gyroZCalli + gyroZPresent;
    }
    gyroXCalli = gyroXCalli/5000;
    gyroYCalli = gyroYCalli/5000;
    gyroZCalli = gyroZCalli/5000;
}

void readAndProcessAccelData() {
  Wire.write(0x3B); 
  Wire.endTransmission();
  Wire.requestFrom(0b1101000,6); 
  while(Wire.available() < 6);
  accelX = Wire.read()<<8|Wire.read(); 
  accelY = Wire.read()<<8|Wire.read(); 
  accelZ = Wire.read()<<8|Wire.read(); 
  processAccelData();
}

void processAccelData() {
  gForceX = accelX/16384.0;
  gForceY = accelY/16384.0; 
  gForceZ = accelZ/16384.0;
}

//void readAndProcessGyroData() {
//  gyroXPast = gyroXPresent;                                   // Assign Present gyro reaging to past gyro reading
//  gyroYPast = gyroYPresent;                                   // Assign Present gyro reaging to past gyro reading
//  gyroZPast = gyroZPresent;                                   // Assign Present gyro reaging to past gyro reading
//  timePast = timePresent;                                     // Assign Present time to past time
//  timePresent = millis();                                     // get the current time in milli seconds, it is the present time
//  
//  getGyroValues();                                            // get gyro readings
//  getAngularVelocity();                                       // get angular velocity
//  calculateAngle();                                           // calculate the angle  
//}

void getGyroValues() {
  Wire.beginTransmission(0b1101000);                          // Start the communication by using address of MPU 
  Wire.write(0x43);                                           // Access the starting register of gyro readings
  Wire.endTransmission();
  Wire.requestFrom(0b1101000,6);                              // Request for 6 bytes from gyro registers (43 - 48)
  while(Wire.available() < 6);                                // Wait untill all 6 bytes are available
  gyroXPresent = Wire.read()<<8|Wire.read();                  // Store first two bytes into gyroXPresent
  gyroYPresent = Wire.read()<<8|Wire.read();                  // Store next two bytes into gyroYPresent
  gyroZPresent = Wire.read()<<8|Wire.read();                  //Store last two bytes into gyroZPresent
  getAngularVelocity();
}

void getAngularVelocity() {
  rotX = gyroXPresent / 131.0;                                
  rotY = gyroYPresent / 131.0; 
  rotZ = gyroZPresent / 131.0;
}

void printData() {
  Serial.println("Gyro (deg/sec)");
  Serial.print(" X=");
  Serial.print(rotX);
  Serial.print(" Y=");
  Serial.println(rotY); 
  Serial.print("Angle (deg)");
  Serial.print(" Z=");
  Serial.println(rotZ);

Serial.println("Acceleration (g)");
  Serial.print(" X=");
  Serial.print(gForceX);
  Serial.print(" Y=");
  Serial.print(gForceY);
  Serial.print(" Z=");
  Serial.println(gForceZ);
}

in all cases the value in Z doesn’t change

What do you mean by “in all cases”?

What values do you get for any of the measurements?

A good test of an accelerometer is to read raw values, for stationary orientations X up and down, Y up and down and Z up and down. Each axis should return the acceleration due to gravity when vertical. Do that experiment and post the values that you observe.

Note: this does nothing for you. Wire.requestFrom() is a complete transaction.

while(Wire.available() < 6);                                // Wait untill all 6 bytes are available

Try replacing the MPU6050, it can be broken and then tell us what happened.

jremington:
What do you mean by “in all cases”?

What values do you get for any of the measurements?

A good test of an accelerometer is to read raw values, for stationary orientations X up and down, Y up and down and Z up and down. Each axis should return the acceleration due to gravity when vertical. Do that experiment and post the values that you observe.

Note: this does nothing for you. Wire.requestFrom() is a complete transaction.

What I mean by all cases is I’ve tested with different codes and the value is always a number in this case 2 that never changes no matter how i move the sensor. I’ll post the values of the experiment a soon as i can, my class starts in a hour and a half i’ll do the test there.