Multi value resistors

I bought some resistors and thought I would get a lot of 50 different values. But now I got a lot of 50 value resistors? Is this possible or is this fake?

Yes.

What are you asking?

I'm asking if this is possible or if this is fake, never seen it before. Sorry to say that you didn't answer my question by only replying yes.

So can I use these : 50 Value 1/4W Metal Film Resistors Assortment Kit (1R~10MR) for all my purposes, or are single value resistors recommended?

It is not clear what you mean by:-

50 Value

Do they all have the same colour bands? If so they are the same value.

Try measuring them.

An assortment of values is exactly what you want. You will need different values depending on what you are working on.

Depending on what you are planning to do, you will need more of one particular value than another. For instance, if you plan do a lot of work with LED's, you will probably want a lot of 220? resistors.

Danton: I'm asking if this is possible or if this is fake, never seen it before. Sorry to say that you didn't answer my question by only replying yes.

So can I use these : 50 Value 1/4W Metal Film Resistors Assortment Kit (1R~10MR) for all my purposes, or are single value resistors recommended?

"50 Value 1/4W Metal Film Resistors Assortment Kit (1R~10MR)" means you get a bunch of 1/4W metal film resistors (how many are they? maybe 1000? that should be mentioned in the catalogue) whose values cover the range from 1Ohm to 10MegaOhm.

Each resistor has its own exact value (there are no multiple-value resistors, it's a nonsense!). Let's say the assortment kit is made of 1000 resistors. "50 Value" means you get 1000/50=20 resistors of each value in the above mentioned range. So you get 20x 10Ohm resistors, then maybe 20x 15Ohm resistors too and so on ... and finally you get 20x 10MegaOhm resistors too.

Again: each resistor has its own exact value!

It's very common to buy those kits so you have an amount of different resistors at home ready to be used.

Maybe this ebay auction may help clarifying: http://www.ebay.it/itm/1-4W-Metal-Film-Resistor-Assort-kit-1000-pc-50-values-/320638547775?pt=AU_B_I_Electrical_Test_Equipment&hash=item4aa78bf73f

If you buy from a reputable supplier, they will specify exactly what they are selling. The exception is if you buy a "grab bag" of miscellaneous parts.

The resistors will be marked with their value or, they will be [u]color coded[/u].

It's also a good idea to get a multimeter so you can read resistance, voltage, and current. (You can get multimeters starting around $10 USD, so every electronics hobbyist should have one.)

So can I use these : 50 Value 1/4W Metal Film Resistors Assortment Kit (1R~10MR) for all my purposes,

We don't know what circuits you are building or your needs are, but probably not for all of your purposes.... ;) Sometimes the value is critical, and other times a wide range of values will work. At some point you are going to need a value that's not included in your assortment, or you may need more of a particular value.

DVDdoug: At some point you are going to need a value that's not included in your assortment, or you may need more of a particular value.

And usually you will find you need a particular value on Saturday night when the stores are closed. :)

Here's a handy website that you can use to figure out the resistance of each of those resistors that you'll be getting in your package: http://www.dannyg.com/examples/res2/resistor.htm

kurt_t: Here's a handy website that you can use to figure out the resistance of each of those resistors that you'll be getting in your package: http://www.dannyg.com/examples/res2/resistor.htm

You can also get apps that show this for Android smartphones. I downloaded the Resistor Color Code app, but there were several other free apps as well. I have to imagine there are similar apps for Apple. My only problem is I'm slightly color blind, and I have trouble seeing the difference between orange (3) and brown (1) on many resistors.

On iPhone, I use Resistor Calculator (has other handy calculators too, like Ohms Law) and the Adafruit Circuit Playground app.

My only problem is I'm slightly color blind, and I have trouble seeing the difference between orange (3) and brown (1) on many resistors.

I'm not color blind, but on my tiny 1/4W resistors, I do too. And green/blue. And yellow/gold. Doesn't help they're 1% so they're also painted on a light blue body. If it matters, I measure.

Bad Boys Ravish Our Young Girls But Violet Gripes Wildly. Black, Brown, Red, Orange, Yellow, Green, Blue, Violet, Grey, White. 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Is a simple mnemonic trick to learn the color code that I learned 55 years ago... What Ever would People Do... If there Wasn't an App for it???

Doc

Not exactly answering the question, but I was happy with this kit when I started, still am:

http://www.amazon.com/Joe-Knows-Electronics-Value-Resistor/dp/B003UC4FSS

After I started using certain values in bulk, I ordered those values from Digikey usually at the 250 resistors price break which gets them to you for about 3 cents each. Still happy to have the kit for less used values.

Here is an interesting link to resistors more reasonably priced ($24.90 for 148 values. 3700 resistors total

Technical Details
1% 1/4W Metal Film Resistor Assorted Kit 148 value total 1480 pcs Error…
1480 pcs of Metal Film Resistor 1/4W 1% tolerance
148 values x 25 pcs = 3700 not 1480
1% tolerance
$0.03 ea is robbery for resistors that cost about $0.001 ea and are likely surplus NOS (New Old Stock) even if the 25 count is wrong and there are only 1480 it is still $0.017 ea or a little more than half the price of Digikey or Mouser or Jameco. I bought resistors both leaded and SMT and @ 5K prices (1 Reel) the cost was about $20.00 some
I bought in 50K quantity and those were about 1/3rd less in price. Shop Ebay carefully and you can save a great deal of money.
I Do.

Doc