Multiple Potentiometers in Parallel?

While measuring my circuit with two potentiometers sharing a ground and 5v and the wipers in to the analog inputs, I realized this circuit is in parallel and my 10ks are now really 5k.

Is there a better way to wire this circuit?
Should I be buying higher resistance potentiometers when using multiples?

If the wiper of each potentiometer is connected to its own separate analog input, then nothing is wrong.
You read each analog input with the program to get there separate values.
Each pot is drawing 0.5mA so there is not a current supply problem.

Tom.. :slight_smile:

Is there a better way to wire this circuit?

No this is the correct way.
Do not get higher values of pot as these will present a higher impedance to the analogue input.

Putting resistors (which is what pots are) in parallel does not magically change the properties of each component. The 5k resistance is the equivalent resistance of the entire parallel network. Both of your individual pots are still 10k, and will act like it.

I ran into the same "issue" while measuring the resistance with a multi-meter.
The thing is I have almost 60 10k pots and some momentary buttons all sharing the VCC and GND bus.
My resistance reading is ~220 but the analog reading of the pots in the Microcontroller seems fine expect 1 or t2 pots.
Is this normal to have such a low resistance ? Should I do something different ?

Thanks

All you really need to do is consider the total current that is being drawn and make sure that isn't a problem. 220 Ohms at 5V is around 25mA. Should be fine.

Steve

slipstick:
All you really need to do is consider the total current that is being drawn and make sure that isn't a problem. 220 Ohms at 5V is around 25mA. Should be fine.

Steve

Thanks for replying, I have some questions hope that's ok :slight_smile:

1. When you said 220 Ohms at 5v is ~25ma (it's actaully 3.3v so I think it's 15ma) Did you mean the total current ?
    Because i read online that each pot will draw 0.33ma.

2. And just to understand - the resistance dropped across the pots because each one draws some amount of current? If so when testing a pot using multi-meter I just need to consider that it's range of resistance is the 220 ohms I've seen?

Thanks!

So what is "almost 60" x 0.33 ?

Each pot is still 10K. But when testing you will be measuring the VOLTAGE between the wiper and ground. There's no point trying to measure resistance when you have loads of them in parallel.

Steve

Hi;

arduinolover30:
I ran into the same "issue" while measuring the resistance with a multi-meter.
The thing is I have almost 60 10k pots and some momentary buttons all sharing the VCC and GND bus.
My resistance reading is ~220 but the analog reading of the pots in the Microcontroller seems fine expect 1 or t2 pots.
Is this normal to have such a low resistance ? Should I do something different ?

Thanks

Where are you measuring this mysterious 220R?
What VOLTAGE are you getting on each of the analog inputs?
Can you please post a copy of your circuit, in CAD or a picture of a hand drawn circuit in jpg, png?
Show at least 5 pots.
PLEASE DO NOT POST A FRITZY PICTURE.
If you have to DRAW IT.
Can you post a picture of your project so we can see your component layout?
What model Arduino are you using?

How are you powering your project.
Have you worked out the total current flowing in your 60 pots?
Have you got all of them connected or just a few to check concept?
Thanks.. Tom.. :slight_smile: