Multiple stepper motor control advice

Hi all,

Im new to arduino can I control 4-5 stepper motors with Arduino, my question is do I need more than 1 x Uno R3 board to do this, could I use 1 mega board on its own, any advice greatly appreciated.

Any programming links also appreciated

Gazmon

Hi,

If you use Stepper Controller boards that have only two control wires: DIRECTION and STEP an UNO has enough pins.

where would I find a controller board suitable please?

something like this be suitable? = L298N Dual H Bridge DC Stepper Motor Drive Controller Board Motor Drive Module for Arduino

thanks for your reply

The L298 motor driver is not a step/dir type driver and they are ancient and inefficient drivers. They are lousy stepper drivers anyway.

What are the specs of your motors? Can you post a data sheet? Can't really specify a mptor driver without knowing the type (bipolar, unipolar) and coil current, at least.

hi

well im fairly new to this , what components would you recommend please

I repeat, can't recommend a driver without knowing more about the motors. Re-read post #3.

I'm just looking to experiment with the following items first before I move on as quite new to arduino

I have 5x 28BYJ-48 5V Stepper Motors I want to try and use in one project

The 28BYJ-48 stepper motors usually use a ULN2003 as the stepper driver and each motor requires 4 Arduino I/O pins.

If you include the analog pins and exclude pins 0 and 1 (Rx and Tx) the Uno has 17 I/O pins available.

...R

thanks for your info what would I use the L298 variant for then please

thanks again

gazmon:

A paper weight ?

...R

gazmon:

Not. Just not. Well, paperweight maybe, or as start of a museum collection. If you really want an H-bridge go for e.g. the TB6612FNG. About the same price, but without the 2V drop and associated heat (and heat sink). Still not very suitable for a stepper.

For your stepper, this recent thread should be of interest.