Nano not communicating with computer

Have standard Nano, I'm trying to connect to my computer to program. The sketch has the board set under the Tools drop down menu to Arduino Nano, processor set to ATmega328P and only to ports show, Com5 and Com6. I can't get the board to identify itself or download it's information. It seems to want to transmit information, but the computer isn't seeing the board, on either Com5 or Com6. I can connect an Arduino Uno to the same system, with the sketch set for a Uno, processor set to ATmega328P, and Com3. It is recognized by by the sketch and identifies itself properly, so convinced the software works. Current version of the software is 1.8.17 updated from version 1.8.12. I've tried multiple Nano Boards, multiple data cables to the Nano board, and still no communications. One of the data cables came with several Nano boards, so assume it'll work with the boards, the other is an unknown cable but used to update my Garmin GPS. All Nano's seem to power up via the USB port and seem to be transmitting (transmission LED is flashing) I'm stuck for a solution. Any ideas or information would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

If you unplug the Nano and look at the Tools, Ports menu, what ports are shown?
If you plug USB cable into the Nano and look at the Tools, Ports menu, what ports are shown?

What type of USB to serial converter does the Nano have? Does it need drivers?

If you are using "get board info" most clones don't respond.
Can you load the "Blink without delay" code to your Nano?

Thanks.. Tom... :grinning: :+1: :coffee: :australia:

Unfortunately, it doesn't show as being connected to a com port, either com5 or com6. I tried uploading a sketch for heck of it to see if it would load. No dice. When I'd check to see if it shows up in the device manager, the comports do show up, but when checking for drivers, there aren't any. This isn't true with the Uno. It shows as being connected on both the software and on the device manager. Unfortunately, the Uno uses a different connection than the Nano, so there still could be a cabling problem, though I've used two different cables to the Nano.

Hi,
Have you been able to upload code to this particular Nano before?

If not, try the "Old Bootloader" option.

If it is a clone, most still supplied with old bootloader.

Tom... :grinning: :+1: :coffee: :australia:

In looking at the Ports menu, Com5 and Com6 show up but the Nano isn't associated with either one of them. It uses the USB port with a mini-B type connector. I'm not sure if it needs drivers, but in checking the device manager, the comports com5 and com6 show as being there and connected but in checking to see if a driver is present, device manager shows no drivers and none available. I am suspecting the cables, though I've tried two.

Of the four Nano's I tried, none communicated with the programming software. I tried both the old Bootloader and the new. I also updated the Arduino programming software from 1.8.12 to 1.8.17 thinking that there might have a problem with the software that needed an updated version. That didn't work either.

The four nano's were fresh, out of the box, never used units. And yes, I do know how to handle static sensitive devices, after servicing and designing computer controlled devices for 20 years.

Hi,
Can you see on the Nano, what USB IC they are using?

Tom... :grinning: :+1: :coffee: :australia:

Hi @chasrie,

I had the same problem with four new Nanos a while back. I solved it by upgrading the IDE, changing the board to "Arduino Nano (Old Bootloader)", and changing out the USB cable. That was for the driver being CH340 (they are most of the time). Also some USB cables are only power cords that don't include D+ or D- lines. You couldn't tell the difference usually.

Unfortunately, unlike chips of years ago which are well marked, these aren't. I've tried using a magnifying glass, illuminating them off angle, and even trying to photograph them with my camera (an old trick I use) but couldn't raise the markings. it's a bad practice, as I know that it may not be the same chip as what is on the boards, but the schematic says it's a ATSMD11D14A. I even briefly played with the idea of bypassing the chip and trying to communicate via the ttl side. But that couldn't be easily done either. In thinking about it, I don't think that there is a bad USB Ic with four different boards.

The ATSMD11D14A usually looks like this:

Screen Shot 2021-10-28 at 8.39.34 AM

But the CH340 looks like this:

Screen Shot 2021-10-28 at 8.40.51 AM

Aftermarket Nanos are NEVER the ATSMD11D14A.

I upgraded the IDE from version 1.8.12 to version 1.8.17, thinking that maybe the problem would be resolved with an update of the IDE. I'm leaning towards a bad cable since I tried two. One cable came with an order of five NANO's, so I would assume that it would be good, But we all know what "to assume" really means. The other works in updating my Garmin GPS, but again, I can't really guarantee that it is wired correctly. I really don't like the contacts either make with the "A" Connector to the computer. I've orders an adapter to go from the "B" connector for the Uno to the Mini connector of the Nano. Hopefully, that'll solve the problem. At least I'll know I'll be working with a good data cable. Thanks for the suggestion.

Again, I couldn't raise the part number but the Chip looks like the CH340. I was barely able to raise the WK.. on the chip. Thank you

Do your nanos show up in device manager when you plug them in? As 'unknown device' or as 'USB comport'?
We had a similar question recently, so I post the same question/advice:

Can you see the VID and PID identifiers in device manager? These can usually be found - even with 'unknown devices' - under properties->details. ( I don't have an english version of windows so I don't know exactly where to find )
VID and PID ( Vendor-ID and product ID ) identify the USB chip and windows uses these to know which driver to use.
This page can be used to identify a chip by its VID and PID. The example entries in the link are for a CH340

The ports show up in device manager, but no driver. In th Properties under the device manager it shows up as "Standard Serial over Bluetooth link (Com5)" I don't see a VID or PID under the "Properties details", Thank you.

To be honest, I really suspect that I have a bad communications cable. It really doesn't fit tightly into the USB port on the computer, no matter which one I try.

Thanks for the suggestion.

That's very weird. I cannot imagine how this could be a 'Bluetooth link' if a USB device is plugged in. VID and PID are shown only for USB devices. Are you sure this is your nano? The VID/PID is shown under details as Hardware-ID

Have you tried putting isopropyl or acetone or methylated spirits on the IC and observing it as the liquid dries?

Tom.... :grinning: :+1: :coffee: :australia: