Nasal airflow measurement

Dear Arduino members,

I'm looking for some help with a project that I have been thinking for personal use. I'm not a techie and am looking for someone who can probably build this end to end. I live in Bay area California US, and any local help would be preferable. Here is a brief requirement:

Goal: To know which of the nostril is more active at a given time. At anytime, one of the nostrils inhales and exhales more than the other one. And this pattern changes during the day. I would like to note which one is more active. this is for my meditation and yoga practices.

Process: A person would be wearing this simple device and would normally inhale and exhale (5-10 times). the instrument would detect which of the nosrtil is more active by measuring the air flow and pressure. It is not required to accurately measure the air pressure. As long as it can detect which one is using more air for inhalation and exhalation, thats would be good enough. It would be bonus if the system can record the output for each of the nostrils whenever the person wears it.

Some ideas: I saw this wonderful demo in youtube, but unable to get more information. Anything which is similar to this would be just fine.

Please let me know if you or anyone you know would be interested to brainstorm on this and can build it. I would be happy to compensate for your time.

Regards,
Abby

Interesting. A side question: To what, and how, do You intend to use those measurement data? I've praticed deep meditation for quite some years and is familiar with questions in this area.

Railroader:
Interesting. A side question: To what, and how, do You intend to use those measurement data? I've praticed deep meditation for quite some years and is familiar with questions in this area.

Thanks RailRoader. I wanted to note these reading hourly to know when the transition happens. Also, noting the reading before and after different sets of meditation and pranayama practices. This will help me to know the effects on these practices on breathing patterns, At some point during the day, both nostrils flow equally and I wanted to note that too. These readings generally would help me do practices in a better way. Happy to chat more on PM.

Good suggestion! I'll write You a PM.

During the day most kinds of masks holding sensors could work. During sleeping, it get more complicated.
One type of sensor could be heat sencitive resistors hold at, or maybe, inside the nose. The change of the resistance ought to be measurable. Do You have any certain accurazy in mind?

Might be interested in modern day CPAP machines and their ability to analyze a wearers breathing.

What is a CPAP machine?

Idahowalker:
Might be interested in modern day CPAP machines and their ability to analyze a wearers breathing.

Their sensor is in fact, in the machine.

OK, the usual airflow sensor for this purpose is a small "pellet" thermistor mounted across the airflow on fine wires. This is heated by the current passing through it, and cooled by the airflow.

Usually used in matching pairs on each side of a tiny (insulating) baffle so that the side facing the airstream is cooled in proportion to the flow.