Need help in interfacing Ultrasound Transducer to an Arduino

Hello all,

I am planning to build a setup which consists of a processor, temperature sensor and an ultrasound transducer.This setup will be installed at the bed of a pool or a pond. There is an immobile buoy like structure partially floating at the surface of the water. The setup will transmit the measured values of temperature using a ultrasound transmitter which is received at the buoy using an ultrasound receiver. Ultrasound transducer is made to work as transmitter at one side and receiver at another.

Thus I am planning to use the following components:

1. Arduino Mega
  2. Waterproof Ultrasonic Transducer
    http://www.ebay.in/itm/151966677592?aff_source=Sok-Goog
  3. Waterproof temperature sensor DS18B20

I have the following questions

Can I interface DS18B20 and Waterproof Ultrasonic Transducer to Arduino?
Will I able to send measured temperature value through those ultrasound sensors?
What are the other alternatives available for this purpose?

your grammar is a little confusing.

you want to USE ultrasound to TRANSMIT data THROUGH ________ (air) ??

This OP changed post #1 and added enough information as to make this post confusing.

Hi,
What is the overall application, sending a temperature reading via Ultra Sound is a bit vague.
The transducer you have linked to is for measuring distance, not a single transmitter.

What is your electronics, programming, arduino, hardware experience?

Tom.... :slight_smile:

Hi,

This may help.
OP's original thread by the looks of it.

http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=382622.msg2637492#msg2637492

Tom.... :slight_smile:

I have edited the post. I hope things are better now.

Worth trying to see if you can just pick up the sound in the first instance?

The next step is a simple "bit read" of the value you want to send and basically pulse the transducer to send the data in a "bit" form. Of course, a checksum will be needed and other such data integrity checks, as background noise and echos may lead to scrambled data?

30Khz is a "usual" sort of ultrasound frequency.

Even normal speakers may be of use in this? Id assume there are few 20khz sources to interfere? Again, some testing will be required.

You basically would have the speaker oscillating at 20kHz when "on". Turning on the speaker for say 0.1seconds for each HIGH (1) "bit". Sends a byte in about a second. Again, I am unsure on how this would best work and if higher bit-rates of sending the info would be better/worse.

Maybe a look at Manchester Encoding may be of use?

@Johnny, A particular measured sensor value (usually a bit) can be repeatedly transmitted so that receiver can comfortably take up the signal.
But is it possible to interface both, temperature sensor and Ultrasound transducer to Arduino Mega?

ultraLOW frequency will travel underwater for hundreds or thousands of miles.
ultraHIGH will be attenuated in short distances.

that said, I think you can 'ping' a piezo with power and with individual pings.

I cut apart one of those sensors and it is an aluminum cup with a piezo element on the face, looks like it is glued.
then the cup was filled to eliminate a void where water could seep in.

so, 'waterproof' really means splashed. at depth, air compresses and water may seep in.

I would offer that a bit of research on how far frequencies will travel underwater would offer part of your answer.
I believe you can ping the sensor, that that means you can use very slow signals, or fast.
your message can be a packet with error correction if all you really want is water temperature.
I would think that temperature would not change rapidly and that if it took 4 seconds to handshake, send the data, and error correct, there would not be any problems.

NPB777:
@Johnny, A particular measured sensor value (usually a bit) can be repeatedly transmitted so that receiver can comfortably take up the signal.
But is it possible to interface both, temperature sensor and Ultrasound transducer to Arduino Mega?

that is similar to asking of a driver and one passenger will fit on a schoolbus.
a Mega has the capacity to handle 50 temperature sensors and your transmitter.
and then a couple hundred more if you want to add expanders.

Are you referring to the sensor in the link which I have shared?

Yes measurements need not be taken often but once in 2 to 3 minutes will be fine.

to test, you could put them at distance on the surface or run a wire to the bottom of the pool.

once address the problems you encounter, it should be workable.
I think that echos will be an issue so maybe a fast burst of data, then ignore the echos.

you could send one ping, then time all the echos and then use that data to ignore them later.

NPB777:

And you expect the receiver to know the difference between a real packet with a value of 20deg C and a random/noise one how?

I still think a pre-amble bit sequence and a checksum maybe an idea...

That ultrasonic transducer was not meant for use underwater and probably won't work long, if at all.

I still can't figure out if you are sending a signal over the surface of the pond, of through the water of the pond. In either case, are there apt to be waves on the pond or currents moving through the water? Waves will reflect and distort sound over the surface. Currents will refract and reflect sound in the water.

Paul