NEMA 17HS4401 with 5v Power Supply

Hi,

I've been searching around and can't find any definite answer. Can a NEMA 17HS4401 stepper motor with A4988 driver be power with 5v instead of 12v and a step down converter?

Thanks

NO.

Stepper motors work better with higher voltages and IIRC 8v is the minimum for the motor power supply for an A4988. Adjust the current limit on your A4988 to match the motor.

If you need more help please post a link to the datasheet for your stepper motor.

...R
Stepper Motor Basics
Simple Stepper Code

Maybe if the sun comes up on the left side of the moon; but it is close. You need to push 2.55 Volts into the winding, your driver will have a voltage drop of about 0.9 volts. That leaves you only 1.6V left to work with however your driver needs a minimum of 8 Volts. My guess is by reducing the 8 volts you will also cut the gate drive and the FETs will not be fully enhanced causing things to get very hot on a lucky day otherwise they will fry. I assume you are using the Pololu board for this project. From there breakout board definition: This breakout board for Allegro’s A4988 microstepping bipolar stepper motor driver features adjustable current limiting, over-current and over-temperature protection, and five different microstep resolutions (down to 1/16-step). It operates from 8 V to 35 V and can deliver up to approximately 1 A per phase without a heat sink or forced air flow (it is rated for 2 A per coil with sufficient additional cooling). Note the minimum voltage. When you read the data sheets believe what they say. Yes it might work but there is no guarantee and if it does for how long? Your gamble.

From what I can find the 17HS4401 is a 1.7A motor, so an A4988 isn't powerful enough.

It can probably just work from a DRV8825, although its right at the limit of what it can
handle without active cooling.

You don't want to run a stepper driver from too low a voltage as you will limit the speed
the motor can do - the voltage is needed to overcome the inductance of the motor, not
the resistance.

This topic was automatically closed 120 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.