New to Arduino: developing

Hello everybody,

I am new to Arduino and my knowledge is really poor, but I am willing to learn!

I basically would like to develop a charger which interact with a phone.

For example, let's say that my phone is under 20% of battery, I'd like the charger to active itself automatically when my App send the signal. Do you think that it is possible with Arduino? If yes, where to start? I already got the charger ready, I "just" need to connect it so it interacts with the iPhone.

Thank you so much for your help :)

your phone connected to arduino via audio jack
if phone bat equal to or less than 20 percent send a signal thru the audio jack
arduino closes a circuit to charge your phone
if battery is 100 percent send a different signal thru the audio jack
arduino opens the charging circuit

<random idea

If you can write an app for your phone that sends a message to an Arduino (perhaps using Bluetooth) when the battery is low and another message when the battery is high the Arduino can do something.

I presume your phone is being charged from the mains. That raises the question of how the Arduino can switch dangerous mains electricity. The safest might be to get one of the remote-control mains sockets and arrange for the Arduino to control it. Sorry, I don't know anything about those sockets.

...R

Robin2: If you can write an app for your phone that sends a message to an Arduino (perhaps using Bluetooth) when the battery is low and another message when the battery is high the Arduino can do something.

I presume your phone is being charged from the mains. That raises the question of how the Arduino can switch dangerous mains electricity.

No need to switch the mains if he switches the low voltage charger output, usually either 5V or 3.9V (to charge the phone's LiPo battery). That will, however, mean that the charger is connected to the mains 24/7. Not a particularly good idea (extra power consumption and danger of fire).

But what I can't understand is why he wants his phone tied to the Arduino 24/7. That surely defeats the purpose of a [u]mobile[/u] phone.

Henry_Best: No need to switch the mains if he switches the low voltage charger output,

I think that would require breaking open the cable between the charger and the phone. That is doable by someone with suitable experience.

...R

Hi, Why?

If the charger is going to be connected to the phone anyway, the phones internal monitoring circuitry will keep the battery in peak condition.

Why do you want an app to turn it on and off.

Tom.... :) Unless you want the arduino to move a servo to plug the charger in? :o