newbie here.. need help with printing "hello world" to lcd

hey all i am new to arduino… to make a loooong story short, i need help with my very first code!! it is the lcd arduino, i compiled a sketch and uploaded to my board, and it is very strange… i can print numbers but not any kind of text or letters… so hello world just wont print to the lcd… if i try to use ANY kind of letters, it wont work… only dislays weird lines and question marks… but if i enter and numbers in the lcd.print it WORKS FINE!! hmmm anyway, here is my code (sketch) any help would be great !! thanks::

PLEASE NOTE THAT I SAID “HERE IS WHERE I AM HAVING MY PROBLEM” in the code… thanks :0)

//www.elegoo.com
//2016.12.9

/*
LiquidCrystal Library - Hello World

Demonstrates the use a 16x2 LCD display. The LiquidCrystal
library works with all LCD displays that are compatible with the
Hitachi HD44780 driver. There are many of them out there, and you
can usually tell them by the 16-pin interface.

This sketch prints “Hello World!” to the LCD
and shows the time.

The circuit:

• LCD RS pin to digital pin 7
  • LCD Enable pin to digital pin 8
  • LCD D4 pin to digital pin 9
  • LCD D5 pin to digital pin 10
  • LCD D6 pin to digital pin 11
  • LCD D7 pin to digital pin 12
  • LCD R/W pin to ground
  • LCD VSS pin to ground
  • LCD VCC pin to 5V
  • 10K resistor:
  • ends to +5V and ground
  • wiper to LCD VO pin (pin 3)

Library originally added 18 Apr 2008
by David A. Mellis
library modified 5 Jul 2009
by Limor Fried (http://www.ladyada.net)
example added 9 Jul 2009
by Tom Igoe
modified 22 Nov 2010
by Tom Igoe

This example code is in the public domain.

http://www.arduino.cc/en/Tutorial/LiquidCrystal
*/

// include the library code:
#include <LiquidCrystal.h>

// initialize the library with the numbers of the interface pins
LiquidCrystal lcd(7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12);

void setup() {
// set up the LCD’s number of columns and rows:
lcd.begin(16, 2);
// Print a message to the LCD.
lcd.print(“HERE IS WHERE IM HAVING PROBLEM… I CAN ONLY GET NUMBERS TO WORK HERE NOT LETTERS OR WORDS HMMMM”);
}

void loop() {
// set the cursor to column 0, line 1
// (note: line 1 is the second row, since counting begins with 0):
lcd.setCursor(0, 1);
// print the number of seconds since reset:
lcd.print(millis() / 1000);
}

can ANYONE help me with this ?

what is controller you are using. what screen is displaying

This might be vary big text. first try with simple hello world

Links attached for reference

lcd.print("HERE IS WHERE IM HAVING PROBLEM.. I CAN ONLY GET NUMBERS TO WORK HERE NOT LETTERS OR WORDS HMMMM");

dronepartsx:
can ANYONE help me with this ?

Yeah, I think so.

But first, go and read the instructions, then go back and modify your post (use the "More --> Modify" option to the bottom right of the post) to mark up the code as such so we can examine it conveniently and accurately.

If you do not do this, the code you post could well be garbled and is certainly anything but easy to read.

Note: Also mark up any data in the same way. This includes error output that you get from the IDE.

And - before you post code, use "Auto Format" in the Tools menu to properly present the code.

Try and avoid unnecessary white space (blank lines). You should only use these to separate functional blocks of code.

Now, check your wiring to pin 11 of the LCD. When having problems with Chinese "Dupont" wires, test them all.

Oh yes, we assume you have actually connected the Arduino to the display. We have had people ask questions and it turns out they have not connected the two but have some pins leaning against the terminals instead of being soldered. :astonished: That sounds unutterably foolish, but it has happened!

hey thanks for the replies.. i am not home at laptop at moment but i will do all the code post instructions as soon as i get home.. but yes.. i AM connected to the board and there are NO errors when compiling or uploading.. ALL IS GOOD EXCEPT.. for when i type NUMBERS in the lcd.print () it will output fine on the 16,2 size lcd screen.. BUT if i try to type normal LETTERS (text) it just displays blinking little lines and an upside down question mark.. hmmm and the "counter" wont work either.. BUT if i type ANY OTHER character in the lcd.print function that is NOT a letter, it works just fine

hey is a link to a video i made just a few minutes ago detailing EXACTLY what issue i am having with this simple lcd.print hello world function thanks all :0)

OK, I am going to correct my reply #3.

Check your wiring between pin 11 of the Arduino and pin 13 (D6) on the LCD. Check your soldering to that pin on the LCD. Try another jumper wire (OK, they are not "Dupont" jumpers).

To test the jumpers, wire a LED and series resistor on the breadboard to the 5 V and ground lines, using the jumper wires. If you have an empty breadboard, you can test all your jumpers at once by making a "chain" of them back and forth from one column to another and putting that in series with the LED and resistor.

Paul__B:
OK, I am going to correct my reply #3.

Check your wiring between pin 11 of the Arduino and pin 13 (D6) on the LCD. Check your soldering to that pin on the LCD. Try another jumper wire (OK, they are not "Dupont" jumpers).

To test the jumpers, wire a LED and series resistor on the breadboard to the 5 V and ground lines, using the jumper wires. If you have an empty breadboard, you can test all your jumpers at once by making a "chain" of them back and forth from one column to another and putting that in series with the LED and resistor.

okie.. i took out the 11 pin jumper wire and tested it and made sure all was good.. curiously when i pulled it out, LETTERS appeared chaotically on the second line..hmm but when i inserted the jumper wire back into the pin on the board and the breadboard.. im still getting the same weird characters and only numbers will display.. i mean if intergers will display on the lcd would not "hello world"????? as far as physical connections all seems good and secure .. i am just so confused over this.. im not even getting any errors messages.. i just dont know what to do..

OK, now connect that jumper between pin 13 (D6) on the LCD and pin 6 of the Arduino instead of 11, and change

LiquidCrystal lcd(7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12);

in the code to

LiquidCrystal lcd(7, 8, 9, 10, 6, 12);

What you saw clearly is where the problem is; there is a bad connection somewhere, just a matter of tracking it down. Those jumpers use some sort of glue or varnish and sometimes some of it runs down over the pin at the end and coats it as insulation. This may not even be noticed during testing.

BTW, two things.

First, you really should not be changing connections with the power on the Arduino.

And second, please go and modify your first post to show the code correctly as I originally advised.

I have some troubleshooting ideas but I don't think I will pass them along until you make the requested changes to your original post.

I'll check back in the morning.

Don