Newbie Question about 1280 mega

I have searched and read FAQ's till my eyes are bloodshot. Simple question. In the BLINK program my LED on the board for digital pin 13 blinked but the board don't have a "digital pin 13" and nothing happened when I put a LED from analog pin 13 to ground. When I use a program will I have to reassign lower digital pin numbers to the higher ones on the 1280 mega board?

It's the pin labeled 13 in the upper left near the GND pin, grouped under the "PWM" heading, and the LED labeled "L" near there.

In other words, the "digital pins 0 through 13" are compatible with the non-mega Arduinos, even though they are now labeled PWM and all capable of PWM output as well as digital IO.

...and don't connect a LED directly from a pin to ground without a suitable resistor in series. I know you'll see one or two examples that do just that but seriously, it's not good.

Thanks very much for the info on the pins that clears some things up. Also the other part of the question remains unanswered, "When I use a program will I have to reassign lower digital pin numbers to the higher ones on the 1280 mega board?" I refer to programs like examples or project code for a shield etc. It seems most examples are using other boards than the Mega. I have been using a BS2 and was always running out of pins and had too many limitations. Things I have seen done with the Arduino's look like a lot of fun,, I have about 400 LEDs laying around and I am really taking a serious look at thoses cube projects.