No port assignment after driver installation

Okay, now that I was directed to where the drivers were located, I ran "dpinst-amd64.exe." After the installation, my system indicates it has

Arduino Srl (www.arduino.org) Arduino USB Driver (02/27/2014 1.1.0.0)

and

Arduino LLC (www.arduino.cc) Arduino USB Driver (01/04/2013 1.0.0.0).

Both are marked as ready to use. When I plug the Arduino into a USB port, nothing obvious happens. When I bring up the IDE, the port option is grayed out, and the Device Manager doesn't even have the Port group listed. Of course, trying to upload a sketch fails. I have tried this on an older original Arduino UNO and a new SainSmart MEGA, and both fail.

Just now I removed a new original UNO, made in Italy, fresh from the box and I get the same response. No port assignment and a failed upload.

This is all done on an HP machine running Windows 7 Ultimate with 12MB of memory. I had previously used the Arduino IDE on Windows XP and everything had worked fine, but, alas, I don't have any machines running WinXP.

My computer is of the 64-bit variety, but on a whim I tried installing the 32 bit version of the IDE. I was quickly told to use the 64-bit version instead.

If anyone has any ideas on this issue, I would like to hear from them.

Many thanks,

Bill

connect your arduino > open control panel > Device manger is there any yellow notification there ! IF YES arduino bord was there chose manually update driver then go to C: > Program Files (x86) > arduino > drivers chose your arduino uno driver or what ever you use from there ;) IF NOT change the USB port to another one Notice be sure you have the latest USB driver use this tool "driver booster"

Bill, read my (reply #3-FredKD) response under "port selection in Tools is grayed out". With your UNO plugged in, get into "Ports" and delete any drivers. Then do "update" but let your PC do the driver search on the Web. My search gave me a "COM6" driver and, tho not an "approved" driver, I loaded it and it fixed my problem. I could now see "COM6" in my PC "Ports" tab as well as see it in my Arduino IDE Ports tab and could then upload correctly. Hope this helps!

First, disregard my comment about 32 vs 64 bits in the original message. I was confused with another application.

There are no yellow warnings in Device Driver list. But there is no port list. When I installed the drivers, I used the one I indicated which I do not believe is the correct USB driver. How do I get the USB driver to install as I have nothing already installed in Device Manager? I see the FTDI USB drivers in the IDE directory, but how do I get them installed if the UNO is not recognized?

FredKD, since I don't have a driver already installed, I can't do an update.

Any other ideas?

Bill

Bill, the only thing I can think of is to do a fresh download/reload of the IDE. I'm running WinXP, and I do not see an Arduino tab when I look in the "Remove Software" section of Control Panel, so I don't think you have to "uninstall" Arduino. I would just move all the current Arduino folders/files to a temp holding folder and then download and try the installation again. I followed the "Getting started" instructions and they worked fine for me. I saw my Device Manager "ports" become visible and then, as instructed, did the "update driver" function and then the "Arduino UNO.inf" load and everything came up fine.

Have you found a solution to this problem as yet? If not, you can use the program USBDeview to see the devices that are connected to the USB ports. Once you have located the board there you can attempt to install the proper drivers.

Let me know if you encounter any trouble and I will do my best to help.

Thanks to all who provided suggestions. I reinstalled the IDE, etc. Then I decided to give up. I had purchased a (cheap) refurbished laptop (64 bit) running Win7 Pro. I put the IDE on that machine and everything worked fine.

And, now I'm back on my primary machine and for the heck or it, invoked the IDE again. All worked fine! I have been working in the computer field now for some 42 years or so, and I guess I should have learned to expect all these little pitfalls.

Again, thanks to all who provided suggestions.

Bill