Noob Question: Are Protoboards simply non-solderless breadboard shields?

Hey guys!
Sorry for the noob question, coming from a noob member, but...
What exactly are protoshields?
I'm getting the impression that they're just simply shields that works just as breadboards, just you solder them.
Which explains why some will attach mini, solder-less breadboards to protoshields. (To avoid soldering)
Is this correct? If not, what exactly do protoshields do?
And can you attach, say, a LED to it, using it like a breadboard?
Thanks in advance!

EDIT: After re-reading this horrendous composition of mine, I've realized the lack of proper grammar I used...
That is now fixed. :slight_smile:

Komayto:
Hey guys!
Sorry for the noob question, coming from a noob member, but...
What exactly are protoshields?
I'm getting the impression it's just a shield that works like a breadboard, just you solder it instead. Explaining why some attach mini, solder-less breadboards to it,
Is this correct? If not, what exactly is it?
And can you attack, say, a LED to it, using it like a breadboard?
Thanks in advance!

Yea, attack away.

It's just a sea of plated through holes that you can solder stuff to and route to the arduino pins. 30 gauge solid wire wrap wire is the most common way to wire the stuff together. They usually include a reset pin, sometimes a pin 13 led and ISC connector pins as the board when plugged into an arduino those are hidden/unreachable on the main board. A few have extra features that a given project might benefit. E-bay has a ton of Asian sellers selling these things.

Here is one with extra buttons and miss stuff.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Adafruit-Proto-Shield-for-Arduino-Kit-v-5-/261314859646?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cd794527e

Thanks for the clear explanation!
Now to buy a $3 Chinese protoshield, and hope for the best! :stuck_out_tongue:

There are various protoboards out there, with varying levels of quality. Some are just a set of holes, and if you want to connect things together, you need to connect wires or make a solder bridge (length of solder connecting two holes). Some are laid out like breadboards with some amount of holes that are connected together, and power rails along the sides. My favorite is the Adafruit perma-proto boards, which come with 15, 30, or 60 rows of pins and power rails: Search Results for 'perma proto' on Adafruit Industries. One thing I like about these boards, is the ones with the power rails on the outside, the rails are separated from the data pins by exactly 0.1", so you can use standard 4 position connectors (with one pin clipped off), or dip-switches, directly hooking up ground and the data pin. Two of the Adafruit perma protoboards will fit in mint tins.

This appears to be a clone of the Adafruit 30 pin perma protoboard: Browse products by BBTech on Tindie.