Not all LEDs coming on, and all not responding

I have recently just bought a new WS2812 LED Strip of 150 LEDs at 30/m

I have a problem that when I plug in the LEDs, only 6 of them at the beginning (but not adjacent to on another) come on and have no reaction to the data line input from my Arduino
pictures will be attached an in replies that will show how everything is wired.
I am new to Imgur so hopefully this link works!
here is the code for the arduino

// Simple NeoPixel test.  Lights just a few pixels at a time so a
// 1m strip can safely be powered from Arduino 5V pin.  Arduino
// may nonetheless hiccup when LEDs are first connected and not
// accept code.  So upload code first, unplug USB, connect pixels
// to GND FIRST, then +5V and digital pin 6, then re-plug USB.
// A working strip will show a few pixels moving down the line,
// cycling between red, green and blue.  If you get no response,
// might be connected to wrong end of strip (the end wires, if
// any, are no indication -- look instead for the data direction
// arrows printed on the strip).

#include <Adafruit_NeoPixel.h>

#define PIN      11
#define N_LEDS 150

Adafruit_NeoPixel strip = Adafruit_NeoPixel(N_LEDS, PIN, NEO_GRB + NEO_KHZ800);

void setup() {
  strip.begin();
}

void loop() {
  chase(strip.Color(255, 0, 0)); // Red
  chase(strip.Color(0, 255, 0)); // Green
  chase(strip.Color(0, 0, 255)); // Blue
}

static void chase(uint32_t c) {
  for(uint16_t i=0; i<strip.numPixels()+4; i++) {
      strip.setPixelColor(i  , c); // Draw new pixel
      strip.setPixelColor(i-4, 0); // Erase pixel a few steps back
      strip.show();
      delay(25);
  }
}

I was very alarmed to see that you had apparently connected your 5 V supply to pin 11 of the Arduino! :astonished:

But you have swapped the two colours in the JST connector. Whew! :roll_eyes:

A very strange thing to do!

Just try setting N_LEDS to 100. I seem to recall that 150 is too much for an Arduino UNO/ Nano/ Pro Mini.

I just tried the suggestion to change numLED to 100 to no prevail

I noticed something else also, I can power the entire strip from the arduino, but still only 6 LEDs light up with the same strength of the the power supply.

The power supply also is only drawing no more than 8W, and can power the Arduino without USB connection.

Is there a way that I just have a wiring error??

Check the voltage from V+ to V- on the supply. Is it 5V?

5V and up to 40 amps is what the power supply is rated at, I don't have any way of checking the actual voltage besides what the box said

This is the Strip
This is the Power Supply

I just think its weird that I can hook up the light strip solely on my arduino and it will power up those exact 6 lights on the strip, but still no control over the rest of them via the data wire.

The power supply link doesn’t work.

I just think its weird that I can hook up the light strip solely on my arduino and it will power up those exact 6 lights on the strip, but still no control over the rest of them via the data wire.

Not strange at all your whole circuit is a mess. And besides what you said simply doesn’t make sense.

You have no large capacitor and no resistor in the data line. No powering the strip from both ends from what we can see.
Also, have you been connecting stuff together with the power on? That is a great way to damage stuff.

I don't have any way of checking the actual voltage besides what the box said

Then get one, only $10 or so at a thrift shop.

Just got a voltmeter and found out that the voltage is 5.42 V

Would this be too much power for the strip?

Being new to this what are the odds that I blew the strip and now it doesn't work vs the strip came broke vs I still just haven't wired correctly?

I have concerns about semi exposed mains power connections. That power supply should be built into an enclosure of some sort. It's only a matter of when, not if some stray wire or tool drops in there. You also need a fuse in the output, the available current from that PSU will quickly burn your cables with a short circuit.

mcellison:
Just got a voltmeter and found out that the voltage is 5.42 V
Would this be too much power for the strip?

The word is not power it is voltage. Power is the voltage multiplied by the current.
So is this too much voltage?
The data sheet would suggest so.

However this is just on the limit and this is a Chinese Data sheet which have notoriously laxed standards.

mcellison:
Being new to this what are the odds that I blew the strip and now it doesn't work vs the strip came broke vs I still just haven't wired correctly?

Almost impossible to tell because we don't know what you have been doing with it. Just my guess based on nothing but instinct.

1. I blew the strip and now it doesn't - 60%

2. The strip came broke - 10%

3. I still just haven't wired correctly - well we know you haven't because there is no resistor or capacitor but that in itself might not cause the problems you are seeing, but could contribute to 1)

4. Your clone has poor frequency regulation and and produces signals are not at the right frequency to drive the LEDs.