Older topic with R4 WIFI renewed?

I've had 2 Uno R4 WIFI boards for about 2 months now . They have been nothing but trouble from day one. I always get frustrated and put them down to move on to more productive stuff. I have tried every suggestion I've read in these forums to no avail. the "update bat " process doesn't even see the boards. click any key and then the terminal window closes. Arduino IDE now thinks my boards are WiFiduino32s3. If I leave that setting I can upload a basic blink sketch but of course nothing happens . If I manually select the board and com port it hangs in the uploading mode for eons (over 10 minutes) then I close the IDE. I can't upgrade or downgrade the firmware. Please note I have 4 R3's and a few other smaller boards and all is fine . I'm not a pro at this by any means but can follow instructions. Running Windows 10 home Pro. I've seen in here that many people have had similar problems which ( like mine ) commonly start with " no device on com XXX"
These boards seem so badly bricked now that i fear they will never come back to life . Correct me if I'm wrong but I can see nothing new and since they won't accept firmware update it seems like I'm screwed no matter what . I understand that with any new technology there are commonly bumps in the road but this is getting a bit irritating
. Is there something new that I've missed?

I have moved your topic to the Uno R4 WiFi category of the forum as it is more appropriate than its original category

1 Like

Try the suggestion " Run espflash directly, after the last step, disconnect the board and then remove the jumper wire before connecting it back to your machine.

1 Like

I've done as suggested on both boards. Same results for both
After running cmd The bottom statement was "the system cannot find the file specified (os error 2)
Disconnected from pc . Removed jumper. IDE now sees the board as ESP32-S3-Box. Was able to actually upload a basic blink sketch but the led did not blink ( yes I tried more than one LED)
RX LED is blinking super fast and the serial monitor is scrolling so fast you can't even begin to read it

Have you tried running the UNO R4 WiFi updater script?

I tried it in the past but I will try it again . The board had other strange names at that point

I've tried the Update.bat on both boards with the same results.
Terminal window: Cannot put the board into ESP mode.........
Press any key which of course closes the window
Device manager simply calls it a USB Serial device and under events tab states requires further installation
As a test I uninstalled both boards from PC and plugged them back in again

You need to kill any other USB device connected to your machine except the UNO R4 board before doing Run espflash directly
Check similar issue at Firmware update bricked the Uno R4 WiFi?

Today I managed to get both boards identified as Uno R4 WIFI in the IDE. was able to upload a basic blink sketch and then another using the onboard LED matrix . I'm presuming that one is good to go . The other board gives me the classic " No device found on comXXX" message even though it is properly recognized. Uninstalled and reinstalled in device manager to no avail. Same cable , same USB jack so I'm lost . If memory serves me correctly one of those boards was screwing up right away with the same error. Probably that one. Somewhere thru this process I got a window saying that drivers were wanting to be installed so I let it happen

After doing the suggested steps and the board is recognized as Uno R4 WIFI in the IDE, ensure that you use both Arduino IDE 2.2.1 & Arduino IDE 1.8.19 to test using the latest board Package Core,

Yes I’m using the latest version of both. I uploaded a few of the LED matrix sketches to the one board. All of which worked. But still no luck with the other board.

Try to repeat the process for the one that is not working, if the issue persist, contact the seller for replacement.

I’ve contacted seller. Due to all the troubled posts I’ve see about this board I just took the refund. But thank you for getting the one board going. It will be nice to be able to use it when the right project comes up

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.