Hi, I have started teaching myself to do projects with arduino and raspberry pi from the start of this year, so am still learning a lot. I've been working through the mind-controlled arduino robot project (the MakerPress book) since June and and stuck on one aspect of it: I have printed the chassis, wired it up and loaded the first two pieces of basic code on it, but only one servo motor runs. I will attach photos of the robot in its current state, top and bottom (had some trouble doing this, so will attach the photos to a reply to this thread).
Some key parts of the unit:
- Arduino Leonardo
- Proto-Screwshield (Wingshield) R3 Kit for Arduino
- Spring SM-S4303R JR Interface 360 Degrees Continuous Rotation Servo
Some of the troubleshooting that I've tried so far:
- Swapping the leads for the two servos with each other (you'll see the connector halfway along the cable). When I did this, the other servo ran.
- Using digital output 4 instead of 2 (wiring and code). Before I did this, the left wheel ran well and the right didn't run at all. After I swapped, the right ran poorly (maybe 5 degree turns intermittently) and the left wheel stopped. When I went to set it back, as soon as I disconnected the digital output from 4, the left wheel started again.
- Put the two servos into separate grounds rather than the same. No change.
- Tried running with two other servos and got the same issue.
- Tried running using a different arduino (uno) and got the same issue.
So I think it must be something to do with the screwshield, but can't work out what. I'm new to soldering (and everything else!), but I fixed any soldered pieces where two inputs/ outputs were touching. I can't see what else it could be.
Would be interested to know any thoughts anyone has on what the next steps should be for troubleshooting.