Original Arduino Nano Port not showed

Hi, I'm very new to the Arduino world, so apologies if the problem it's maybe very basic. I bought an original Arduino Nano but when I connect it to the IDE it doesn't show the Port. I have tried several USB cables but none worked. Is anything I need to install or do in order to make the Port show?

What does your operating system say when you connect the board?

My operating system? Nothing, what should it say? I've used the Arduino Uno and the process is straightforward, open the IDE, connect the Arduino with the USB, choose the Board and the Port, done. I believed the Nano would work the same.

• Go to Arduino IDE > Tools > Board > Boards Manager
  • Look for "Arduino AVR Boards", select the last version and click on "Update".
  • Then, before uploading the sketch make sure you select the proper board (Arduino Nano), processor (ATmega328P) and port (the one where your board appears) on Arduino IDE > Tools.

Go to: Arduino IDE > File > Preferences > Show verbose output: Select both options: "Compilation" and "Upload". Then try to upload the Blink example (Arduino IDE > Files > Examples > Basics > Blink) and please send to us the copy of the whole text shown in the console.

Hi, I did all the steps but it still doesn't works

Before the IDE can show the port, the OS needs to recognise the usb-to-ttl chip on the board. If the OS does not recognise the board (usb-to-ttl chip), the port will never show in the IDE.

For help, you will need to tell us what OS you have.

Ah ok, I've an OS High Sierra.

So what does it 'say'? I'm not a Mac user; in Linux (barely use it nowadays) I would probably use lsusb and dmesg to see what is happening when I connect / disconnect an Arduino. I suspect that the Mac also has those commands.

And in Windows, there is device manager.