Over heating trinket

I am working on a wearable LED hat and am having an over heating problem with a trinket. I made a prototype that works well but I used an uno that was fixed into the top of the hat. For this hat I am using a trinket considering that I am only using one digital pin so that the overall design is much smaller. The prototype has no over heating problem with an uno with more LEDs' than the current one im working on. With less LEDs' the trinket is getting very hot. If I placed a 5v regulator between my 9v battery source and the trinket would the trinket run cooler or is it because of the amps being required is whats making the trinket so hot? Could I used a teensy or something different for the logic chip to keep it running cooler?

cledfo11:
With less LEDs’ the trinket is getting very hot.

How many of what sort of LED are you driving with the trinket?

If I placed a 5v regulator between my 9v battery source and the trinket would the trinket run cooler

Very likely, yes.
It sounds like it is the tiny regulator on the trinket which is getting hot, but I can’t be sure unless you post your circuit.

Yours,
TonyWilk

Its 160 leds on a 5v strip. Each LED is addressable and RGB. Ive posted this on a few forms and it seems that multiple people are talking about using a regulator or switching out too AA batteries.

cledfo11: Its 160 leds on a 5v strip. Each LED is addressable and RGB.

I'm amazed that 160 LEDs light up at all !

There are several different types of LED strip... [u]you should check how much current the one you have needs.[/u]

Small 'PP3' or 'MN1604' batteries won't give enough current for this sort of thing. Ideally you should use a lithium battery pack or maybe a bunch of AA batteries and a switching regulator.

Yours, TonyWilk

I am using the LED fast library so I’m only running the LEDs’ at a fraction of their full brightness.

The trinket provides 500ma max, the leds at full brightness draw 60ma each...

That’s 9600ma. To stay under 500ma you’d need to operate the leds at less than 5 percent of their total brightness.

less than 5 percent. Well let me ask this question then. I am using the FastLED library and calling a function known as set brightness. What integer value would I set this too to be under 5%. Would it be 12?

Qdeathstar:
The trinket provides 500ma max…

Simple statement.
It depends on the trinket (3.3volt/5volt) and how you power it.
The tiny onboard regulator has a 150mA limit, including current draw from the MCU.

Correct answers can only be given with a circuit diagram and/or pictures of the project.
Leo…

You are correct wawa, was doing a quick google on it and just read the google description. But, either way it won’t really work.

I think you should use a lithium ion cell. Neopixels will run happy on 3.7v, you would need a 3.3v trinket, though.

Fastled has a function that lets you set the maximum current draw...

FastLED.setMaxPowerInVoltsAndMilliamps(5,150);