Pot. to control LEDs, with number readout

Hello folks, Looking forward to getting my feet wet with Arduino!

My first goal this weekend should be fairly simple. Use a potentiometer to display a number value between 0-1000 Light a blue LED between 1-500 Light a green LED between 501-800 Light a red LED between 801-1000

Using an atmega 2560 board. It's all new and feels a bit overwhelming right now, but i just figured I'd put this out there, see if i could get any help on the sketch.

Thanks and wish me luck!

Dremmer: Use a potentiometer to display a number value between 0-1000

Does it have to be 0-1000 (1001 values), or can it be 0-1023 (normal 10-bit 1024 values). 0-1000 is not a problem, but needs a bit more code. Only one value (0) for "all off" ? No fading up/down of the LEDs?

This might give you some ideas. https://www.arduino.cc/en/Tutorial/ColorMixer Leo..

Thanks for the suggestion Leo, I'll make sure to check it out now. It doesn't have to be exact figures right now. I'm trying to keep it simple to help the learning curve, but still leaning towards my ultimate end goal. At this point I just wanna see it work, haha.

My final project will use a board to keep a flywheel at a certain speed, and log different variables. I figure I could use a pot. in place of an RPM sensor for now, an keep the project on the desk to try an work everything else out.

Half way there!

Followed the instructions in the link, tweaked when the lights came on just a bit, and it works just as I'd hoped.

Next step is to get a numerical display off the pot. switch.

I wanted to use this 4 digit seven segment LED display, but it apparently requires a couple transistors, which I don't have yet.

I do have this 16 pin LCD board, and my next step is to find out if I can even run that this weekend.

Also, I have this 7.5VDC 1 Amp wall wort, will that be acceptable for my board? Does it matter whether it's plugged in, when connected via usb?

Dremmer: Also, I have this 7.5VDC 1 Amp wall wort, will that be acceptable for my board?

Does it matter whether it's plugged in, when connected via usb?

Only if it's regulated (7.5volt loaded and unloaded). Measure it, or post a picture of the sticker on it.

Uno? Best connected to the DC socket. V-in is also ok, USB is not. Can use a 5volt cellphone charger on the USB socket. Leo..

Hi, Welcome to the forum.

Can you tell us the part number or post a link to help identify you 4digit 7seg display, please?

They come as common cathode or common anode, or they come on a PCB with 4 or 5 pins for interfacing.

Thanks.. Tom... :)