Powering 12v linear actuators with L9110s

So I am currently planning a project where I have 3 linear DC actuators controlled by an arduino by using L9110s to modulate the speed and direction. My question is will the L9110s function normally if I am giving them power externally at 12V and then using a 5V pwm from the arduino to control them, will this work? or will the L9110s not behave properly if it is receiving different voltages at the power and the signal. I am quite new to electronics so please correct me if I have made wrong assumptions and any help is appreciated, thanks

Datasheet says TTL/CMOS compatible inputs, so 5V PWM from Arduino should be OK.
No experience otherwise with these, so can't comment on if what you're trying to do makes sense.

Hi, @mannyduino
Welcome to the forum.

Please read the post at the start of any forum , entitled "How to use this Forum".

Can you post a link to data/specs of the linear actuators?
We need to see if they are able to be controlled by the L9110.

Thanks.. Tom... :smiley: :+1: :coffee: :australia:

sorry here is the link to the L9110s: http://me.web2.ncut.edu.tw/ezfiles/39/1039/img/617/L9110_2_CHANNEL_MOTOR_DRIVER.pdf

and the actuator: https://docs.rs-online.com/82dd/0900766b814ad9e0.pdf

Hi,
Thanks for the links;

Tom... :smiley: :+1: :coffee: :australia:

Hi,
Driver specs;

Tom... :smiley: :+1: :australia:

Actually the L9110 datasheet is awful, the VIL and VIH entries make no sense at all, so I'd couldn't hazard a guess. Its not even clear if the 12V is the abs max supply voltage or the maximum operating voltage.

Hi,

I would say that 12V is the maximum supply voltage for the IC.

This it seems means if you have a supply that is greater than 5V, it will accept 5V logic on its input pins.

Note you loose 9 - 7.6 = 1.4V across the controller.
At 650mA stall current form the motor specs.
1.4 x .65 = 0.91 Watts dissipation in the L9110 for EACH half of the h-bridge.

So total dissipation = 2 x 0.91 = 1.82Watts.

You may feel a bit of warmth from the chip but it is within specs of 800mA continuous.

Tom... :smiley: :+1: :coffee: :australia:

1 Like

That's not precise enough - is it the "absolute maximum never exceed", or the maximum recommended operating voltage, or something else? The whole datasheet is poor/incomplete, no doubt partly lost in translation...

You never run a chip at its absolute maximum voltage, but you usually want to know what it is so you can evaluate the safety margin in the design.

For instance if you know the absolute maximum to be 14V, you can't use this chip with a SLA 12V battery, but if it were 16V you can...

Hi,
datasheet (3).pdf (314.0 KB)

Tom... :grinning: :+1: :coffee: :australia: