Problem with connecting to Mega2560

Hello! I recently bought a Chinese version of the Arduino Mega2560 and I can't get it to connect with my computer. In device manager, it only shows up as "USB2.0 Serial", is there any drivers I have missed? I have another one (also from china) which works fine, so it shouldn't be a problem with the cable or USB port.

Thanks!

If it's recognised in device manager, there shouldn't be a problem. Have you tried to upload a sketch? Did you select the correct port; might not be the same as your other one.

Clone Megas do not necessarily identify themselves as a Mega. Only originals and clones with 8U2 or 16U2 can identify themselves as a Mega.

sterretje:
If it's recognised in device manager, there shouldn't be a problem. Have you tried to upload a sketch? Did you select the correct port; might not be the same as your other one.

Clone Megas do not necessarily identify themselves as a Mega. Only originals and clones with 8U2 or 16U2 can identify themselves as a Mega.

The problem is that is doesn't show up as a port in Arduino IDE

Does it show under ports or under other in device manager?

Any yellow triangles?

You might have a clone with CH340 usb-to-ttl converter in which case you indeed need to install the driver; downloadable from chinese website.

You will have to identify the chip closest to the usb port; CH340 is very common on clones. But it might be an other one.

You need to install the driver downloaded from this website:

It looks a little sketchy, but this is the website of the manufacturer of the CH340G USB to serial adapter chip on your derivative Mega board. You need to click the button that has a cloud with a downwards pointing arrow on it to get the download.

pert:
You need to install the driver downloaded from this website:
http://www.wch.cn/download/CH341SER_EXE.html

It looks a little sketchy, but this is the website of the manufacturer of the CH340G USB to serial adapter chip on your derivative Mega board. You need to click the button that has a cloud with a downwards pointing arrow on it to get the download.

Thanks! It worked!

You're welcome. I'm glad to hear it's working now. Enjoy!
Per

Hmm, now there seems to be an issue with uploading... it gets stuck on uploading and after some time it shows this:

An error occurred while uploading the sketch
avrdude: ser_send(): write error: sorry no info avail
avrdude: stk500_send(): failed to send command to serial port
avrdude: stk500v2_ReceiveMessage(): timeout
avrdude: stk500v2_getsync(): timeout communicating with programmer

Remove any connections to pins 0 and 1 on your Arduino board. These pins are used for communication with your computer, including uploads. Connecting anything to these pins can interfere with uploads.

Make sure you have the correct board selected from the Tools > Board menu.

Make sure you have selected the port of your Arduino board from the Tools > Port menu.

Sometimes the port will be labeled with the board name in the menu. Other times it will not. If you don’t know which port is your Arduino board, you can find it like this:

• Unplug your Arduino board from the computer.
  • Tools > Port
  • Note the ports, if any, listed in the menu.
  • Close the Tools menu. The ports list is only updated when the Tools menu is re-opened, so this step is essential.
  • Plug your Arduino board into the computer.
  • Tools > Port - The new port listed in the menu is your Arduino board.

pert:
Remove any connections to pins 0 and 1 on your Arduino board. These pins are used for communication with your computer, including uploads. Connecting anything to these pins can interfere with uploads.

Make sure you have the correct board selected from the Tools > Board menu.

Make sure you have selected the port of your Arduino board from the Tools > Port menu.

Sometimes the port will be labeled with the board name in the menu. Other times it will not. If you don’t know which port is your Arduino board, you can find it like this:

• Unplug your Arduino board from the computer.
  • Tools > Port
  • Note the ports, if any, listed in the menu.
  • Close the Tools menu. The ports list is only updated when the Tools menu is re-opened, so this step is essential.
  • Plug your Arduino board into the computer.
  • Tools > Port - The new port listed in the menu is your Arduino board.

I switched cable and USB port and it worked! Thanks again!