Projector from projection clock as display

I'm thinking to buy one of these:

Konig LCD projection clock with weather forecast
http://www.konigelectronic.com/en_us/audio-video/weatherstations/550502485

It has small projector and i wonder has anybody removed projector and connected to Arduino so it can show any information?

The advert indicates that it only projects time, so it would be somewhat limited in the information it could display.

It it likely that the clock chip is closely integrated with the LCD so it would be tricky to hack it.

bodmer:
The advert indicates that it only projects time, so it would be somewhat limited in the information it could display.

It it likely that the clock chip is closely integrated with the LCD so it would be tricky to hack it.

Thanks. Any other cheap gadget with more usable projector?

There are some low cost lcd projectors available with VGA input and an Arduino can produce a basic VGA signal so maybe this is an option.

bodmer:
There are some low cost lcd projectors available with VGA input and an Arduino can produce a basic VGA signal so maybe this is an option.

Thanks. Thats sounds interesting. Do you know any good source for these?

bodmer:

Abby-ino:
Do you know any good source for these?

You saw this coming, didn't you Bodmer?

Paul__B:
You saw this coming, didn't you Bodmer?

I know how to use search engines. I found projectors less than $50, but i was wondering if there is even cheaper ones which are just modules/shields.

The cheapest I have found on eBay is about $40 and they are not that small. The resolution is quite low too at 480x320

If this si a route you wish to try then I would experiment with connecting an Arduino to a standard VGA monitor first to make sure you can display what you want.

There are no shields that will act as projectors.

Perhaps a bright LED matrix plus a lens would make a simple projector. Not something I have tried though.

bodmer:
Perhaps a bright LED matrix plus a lens would make a simple projector.

That is of course, what the abovementioned clock is.

Paul__B:
That is of course, what the abovementioned clock is.

No that is a LED shining through an LCD.