protection diode

Can anyone tell me if the attached image shows the correct way to hook up a protection diode?

On the right side above(red with black connector) is 12V.
On the lower left (yellow with black connector) is wire to transistor and arduino.
Upper left and lower right (heavier red wire) leads to the contacts of the relay.

The diode is in the middle.
Thanks

protection diode.jpg

If the silver band on the diode is on the right side, and is connected to +12V, it is OK.

That photograph shows no context at all. It is just a diode with wires sticking out of a solderless bread board. We do not know what it is protecting and from what.

Mike, I’m using a relay to control wall voltage. The relay is actuated by an arduino sending a voltage to the base of a transistor which then allows amperage to flow through the contacts of the switch in the relay. I’m trying to emulate something like the attached circuit diagram.

protection_diode.jpg

snailFury: Mike, I'm using a relay to control wall voltage. The relay is actuated by an arduino sending a voltage to the base of a transistor which then allows amperage to flow through the contacts of the switch in the relay. I'm trying to emulate something like the attached circuit diagram.

Instead of just answering YES, I will suggest an easy way for you to remember ...

The light colored band on the diode is always offset to one end. That is the same end of diode as the "Bar" that the arrow points to in your schematic.

I hope that removes any mystery regarding direction of installation.