Recommend a touch screen please

Hi all,

I’m wanting to move on to a good size touch screen for the first time. Could you recommend one that has available wiring diagrams and good library examples. eBay and Amazon are littered with them but don’t want to buy the wrong display.

Regards, Dave.

I suggest you watch several tutorials and read some of the data posted on them. Then pick the one that interest you and look at the code. When you understand the code order the parts and build it. As to your question there are a lot of them available and I will not burn my dime and time doing your research.

Recommendations ... you should also consider the payment methods available in your country and how much you want to invest.

TFT there are many possible options. Personally, I prefer those variants that have basic and advanced functions, so you can migrate your projects without worrying about getting a new screen that meets new expectations.

7 "or 5", 800x480 px, capacitive touch could be a good target, few screens meet these criteria, but they are somewhat expensive

Something more general and economical:
3.2 "320x240 px, resistive touch
3.5 "480x320 px, resistive touch

There are intermediate value variants that look good, but libraries and examples are scarce.

You should consider the TFT-MCU duo. Many value the dimensions of the MCU, in other cases the available libraries matter more, you must also consider the available speed. Large screens require good performance in the MCU.

Have a read through https://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=604185.0

Nextion displays are designed for use as HMI, rather than as general purpose displays. Feedback on this forum seems to be that the manufacturer's library is not very good (and I can't help if you decide to us it). The tutorial sets out my methods, there is also a link to a library by Seithan, which seems to get good feedback. You can of course write your own way of driving them.

Now I understand how to use them I would not use anything else as a HMI.

@atak2021,

Which Arduino ? e.g. Uno, Zero, Due, ...

What do you want to do ?

240x320 is a pretty useful size for most applications.

Many displays come in Shield format. You just plug the Shield into the Arduino. Run library example programs.
There are many projects published for the "popular" libraries. They should run out of the box.

Some 240x320 or 320x480 displays are not on a Shield, you will need an Adapter Shield.
Most 800x480 displays require Adapter Shields. And possibly an external power supply.

Attempting to use a bare 3.3V display with a 5V Uno, Leo, Mega, Nano, ... requires a lot of level shifters.

Nextion displays come in many sizes. Nextion displays are self-contained. They should run with any Arduino. Perry should be able to help with any questions about Nextion.

David.

Thanks Perry & David, I’m planning on using on the UNO. Funds will only stretch to a Nextion 3.5” sadly as they are quite expensive but as you say I can use on other projects.

Dave.

There is a problem using the Uno as it has only 1 serial port, which is already in use for the serial monitor. I suggest either a Nano Every or, if you really want to use the Uno get one of these https://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=721366.0

It could be a gameduino 3, the problem is the full cover shield type format.

As we mentioned, there are screens with excellent features, however you have to make a good investment. Several users from around here have gone through several TFTs (minimum about 10) and each one has reached what they consider to be their top.

David has specialized in the TFTs that we all want to see work the first time after buying them from our favorite online store.

Perry has focused batteries towards the Nextion, they are excellent only that you have to treat them with great care.

In my case I have headed towards the FT81x / BT81x, what to say, I finally see one of them in a teensy 4.1 helping me in the unusual project: hobby and work combined.

Look at the forum for sure you will find the correct TFT.

Where do you buy one from Perry?

PerryBebbington:
There is a problem using the Uno as it has only 1 serial port, which is already in use for the serial monitor. I suggest either a Nano Every or, if you really want to use the Uno get one of these https://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=721366.0

Ask https://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?action=profile;u=1481773
I think he sells them directly.
He's in Canada, where are you? Can you import from Canada okay? Or maybe that's where you are.

I’m in the U.K. but I’ll give it a go cheers.

Take about a week from Canada in my experience.

Cheers, ill have a search

cicisupercute:
hello, what do u need to do with the touchscreen?
i once purchased from DWIN Technology from China, their screens are quite good

@Perry could you try and message mr Harrison, he may answer you.

I’m in the U.K. but I’ll give it a go cheers.

PerryBebbington:
Ask https://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?action=profile;u=1481773
I think he sells them directly.
He's in Canada, where are you? Can you import from Canada okay? Or maybe that's where you are.

Done as requested, but as you want to buy his stuff I'd hope that was reason enough to reply to you.

Thanks Perry, as you can guess I’m keen to get on

This topic was automatically closed after 84 days. New replies are no longer allowed.