RFID game long distance

Hi,

Im looking to build a game with several RFID/NFC scan points at different places (max 300 meters apart). Is there a (cheap) way to connect several scanners to one computer? I was thinking of using RC RF transmitters but i don't think they can send enough information.

Ideally i would have 5 scan-points that are connected to one computer where the scaninformation is translated into for instance scans per person.

Thanks!

dehoekstra:
I was thinking of using RC RF transmitters but i don't think they can send enough information.

Might be important to tell us how much 'information' you have in mind ?

Just the chip number and time scanned would do .

Sending a chip number and time once per day only, is not a significant amount of data per day, 32 bytes only maybe.

Not per day but the moment the card is scanned (multiple times within 1 hour)

dehoekstra:
Not per day but the moment the card is scanned (multiple times within 1 hour)

OK, so you have gone from once a day to 2 times an hour ...............................

Do you think the quality of answers you will get will improve if your prepared to describe what the project actually is ?

You might know what the project actually is, but you must realise the forum does not.

dehoekstra:
Hi,

Im looking to build a game with several RFID/NFC scan points at different places (max 300 meters apart). Is there a (cheap) way to connect several scanners to one computer? I was thinking of using RC RF transmitters but i don't think they can send enough information.

Ideally i would have 5 scan-points that are connected to one computer where the scaninformation is translated into for instance scans per person.

Thanks!

Line of sight? Indoors or outdoors? Depending on the propagation conditions ISM band transceivers like the RFM22 modules might workable, with one master node Arduino to connect to the computer via USB.

Hi,
As you are trying to send in real time, you only need the time keeping at the master, each time a RFID is detected, the node just needs to send the ID, the master will add the time.

Tom... :slight_smile:

Thank you for your replies! ill try to explain my idea some more.
I am trying to build a game where multiple people (up to 40) have to play different games using NFC/RFID bracelets/ keychains. An example of a game would be a smuggles game where the people have to go from point a to point b, scan their tag get back to point a and scan their tag again without being captured. during or after the game i want to be able to see how many 'points'/scans each person has. Preferable i would play it outdoors where the points are not within a line of site (blocked by trees).
This would be an example of one game but i want to build an interface where multiple game can be played. the basics would be the same where i want to see who scanned what point in what time.

I hope i made my idea a bit clearer. I don't really know the limits/possibilities myself so therefore my plan/ questions are probably a bit vage.

Thanks again for helping out!

Would you have access to WiFi, or do you want it to be completely self-contained? If it's the latter, you could put a LoRa WAN at each scanner location. If the former, I would use MQTT to send the data to a central computer for tabulation.

SteveMann:
Would you have access to WiFi, or do you want it to be completely self-contained? If it's the latter, you could put a LoRa WAN at each scanner location. If the former, I would use MQTT to send the data to a central computer for tabulation.

I did some looking into the LoRa WAN system and i think that would be a good solution, thank you!

dehoekstra:
I did some looking into the LoRa WAN system and i think that would be a good solution, thank you!

That would require access to a LoRaWAN gateway at each location.

Is there an acessible Gateway at each location ?

srnet:
That would require access to a LoRaWAN gateway at each location.

Is there an acessible Gateway at each location ?

Why do you need a gateway? LoRa works node-to-node without a gateway, doesn't it?

SteveMann:
Why do you need a gateway? LoRa works node-to-node without a gateway, doesn’t it?

Plain LoRa will work without a Gateway, yes.

LoRaWAN is different. The most common implementation is The Thing Network (TTN) where nodes talk to Gateways.

I did some more research and i think ill go with a combination of 2 modes: offline and online.

For the offline mode I will store the scan information (card number and time scanned) on an sd card via the arduino (nano).

For the online mode im thinking of using a lora module to transmit the scan information to the main raspberry pi. Can anyone give me some advice on what type of lora board is best for my situation?

I was thinking of the HopeRF RFM95W LoRa Module - 868Mhz or the LILYGO TTGO LORA32 915Mhz ESP32 LoRa OLED. I want to use the game either in a building (2 floors with several brick walls) of on an island with quite a few trees.