Rotary encoder not working

Hello,

I tried to read data from an angled rotary encoder with my arduino UNO. I desoldered it and tried to find a datasheet but in vain. I attached a screenshot of the oscilloscope (phase A and B of the encoder). I tried several codes I found on the arduino website but no one worked. I assumed the pinout of the rotary encoder is the one I attached. The last wiring and code I tried is this one.

Well, you really are having some problems! :grinning:

I'm not sure what to make of your oscilloscope trace which makes little sense in itself as it shows capacitive discharges which would correspond to using pull-downs, not the pull-ups you show in your diagram, and I cannot see how a quadrature encoder could possibly be mis-wired to give that pattern. :astonished:

Your first link has nothing whatsoever to do with rotary encoders.

And your code is simply nonsensical I am afraid. To use interrupts - which is in this case a very bad idea - you must specify which pins will be generating the interrupt - you seem to be looking for one on pin 0 - I think!

And you cannot put things like Serial.println in interrupts.

And attempting to use R-C debouncing on a rotary encoder is another very bad idea!

Oh dear! :roll_eyes:

Maybe you can check out this link here:

link

Thank you for your answer. I don't know why but I was thinking the knob on this board was a rotary encoder with a switch function. What do you think it is ? It has 5 pins and there is a switch at the start of the rotation.

Southpark:
Maybe you can check out this link here:

link

The link is dead :confused:

ayubobo:
I don't know why but I was thinking the knob on this board was a rotary encoder with a switch function. What do you think it is ? It has 5 pins and there is a switch at the start of the rotation.

It is called a switch-potentiometer. The switch is just a power switch to turn everything off. :grinning:

Paul__B:
It is called a switch-potentiometer. The switch is just a power switch to turn everything off. :grinning:

Now I understand why it was not working ! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Sorry for the dumb topic, thanks for the help