Share tips you have come across

LarryD:
:o 0201s :o
Don’t sneeze!

Nothing wrong with a tooth pick if it works.
I used a dental pick for a while.

I assume you have a Microscope.

008004 That’s just not right :slightly_smiling_face:

Very proud of myself lately, soldered 008004 to the board, was not easy but not as hard as I thought it would be :slight_smile: I would take a picture of it sitting on a fingertip but it is so tiny it is just invisible :slight_smile: You can probably fit bunch of those into 0201 by volume :slight_smile:
008004_2.jpg

alexmg2: Very proud of myself lately, soldered 008004 to the board, was not easy but not as hard as I thought it would be :) I would take a picture of it sitting on a fingertip but it is so tiny it is just invisible :) You can probably fit bunch of those into 0201 by volume :)

I think they are taking this a bit too small.

Good work.

You can make awkward to mount components breadboard friendly using: DuPont connectors, some plastic sheeting and some glue.

One.jpg

Two.jpg

Three.jpg

alexmg2:
Very proud of myself lately, soldered 008004 to the board, was not easy but not as hard as I thought it would be :slight_smile: I would take a picture of it sitting on a fingertip but it is so tiny it is just invisible :slight_smile: You can probably fit bunch of those into 0201 by volume :slight_smile:
008004_2.jpg

Impressive, but how many did you lose???

tinman13kup:
Impressive, but how many did you lose???

I only had two because they cost $.53 each so I was very careful and did not lose any of them but I tell you this, you do need microscope to just get them out of the package and keep an eye on those things at all time they are so tiny that once you look away you may no longer find them on your desk :), and as I was
taking them out of the tape I can clearly feel that one wrong move and springiness of the tape can send them flying so you gotta be very careful and perhaps use two tweezers to take them out.
Soldering will require different technique because dispensing such tiny amount of solder paste manually is very hard and even using needle to dab little blob of solder paste is impossible because pads are so small and even at slowest air speed they just getting blown off pads so you have to tip the pads first and only heat board in a way so that air does not blow those thins off. To me it was like quantum mechanics of surface mounting, at sizes this small laws of physics stop working :slight_smile:
But in general its very doable task I want to do it more in future to keep concentration in good shape.
008004_1.jpg

I had to do some rework replacing 0603 resistors at work a few weeks ago. I affectionately referred to them as "dust".

They're freaking boulders compared to those 008004s!

alexmg2:
But in general its very doable task I want to do it more in future to keep concentration in good shape.
008004_1.jpg

Looks like you need to get a jig to hold them down on the board too. It looks like the 0603 is good, but the 0402 is a little canted, and the microscopic one is tipped pretty good. Seems to be the break point where I was running into problems keeping them straight and tight too, but I’m only planning on going 0201 as the smallest. I just don’t have the dexterity in my fingers anymore. The microscope is in the works, just haven’t gotten around to it yet,…work comes first.

“Looks like you need to get a jig to hold them down on the board too.”

008004_1.jpg

I just ordered a bunch of end mills. Thanks LarryD!

TKall:
I just ordered a bunch of end mills. Thanks LarryD!

You are welcome.
The more you do with the tool, the more you will discover you can do with it.

Time to buy some color core sheets too.

They're freaking boulders compared to those 008004s!

... and I thought 0805's are small!

Cant imagine how can you even grab an 008004 out of its tape, let alone solder it!

LarryD:
“Looks like you need to get a jig to hold them down on the board too.”

008004_1.jpg

Larry, that looks like a solution until you add scale, which is conveniently there. That little holder looks to be about a 0805 size. That could be fun to make.

tinman13kup: Looks like you need to get a jig to hold them down on the board too. It looks like the 0603 is good, but the 0402 is a little canted, and the microscopic one is tipped pretty good. Seems to be the break point where I was running into problems keeping them straight and tight too, but I'm only planning on going 0201 as the smallest. I just don't have the dexterity in my fingers anymore. The microscope is in the works, just haven't gotten around to it yet,...work comes first.

Just need to increase size of pads so that I can put more solder and surface tension will do better job, apparently it takes some effort from PCB fab house too, in orded for this 008004 to work better I will have to reduce the gap between pads to about 3mils, currently it is about 6 mil so 008001 part is not laying flat and one end of it always falls into the gap, sending new board design with pads a bit closet together and larger, that should work, same for 01005, will be fun project again, I may throw 1206 cap in there too and line them up so it will make nice visual reference from 1206 down to 008004. How do they even deposit solder paste to such small pads in real production world?

Prior to using 1/8" material for blind attaching parts to a panel, I used two 1/16" pieces of plastic.
This is still a very viable and strong way of attaching things to a surface without drill a hole through it.

2017-02-16_10-30-06.jpg

LarryD: Let's say I was carving 3/4 MDF, then I use a vacuum assembly attached around the cutter.

I use a vacuum cyclone like this to get rid of the dust before it enters the vacuum cleaner.

Yes levelling the MDF makes a mess, therefore you need the assembly as mentioned.

That is the missing bit from my interossitor! Do you yave a spare ?

Say what?

alexmg2:
How do they even deposit solder paste to such small pads in real production world?

They use laser cut stencils.
For rework of small stuff i use SMT glue and a small dispensing needle to pick up and position, cook it to set and it makes soldering easier/possible for me.

12 pages and hot glue hasn’t been featured once yet? I’m shocked.

Instant rubber feet. Sticks better than the garbage adhesive you find on actual rubber feet.
IMG_20170218_231644826_compressed.jpg

Pulling triple duty here. Not only a giant rubber foot, but also protecting the fine wire on the bottom of this protoboard and insulating the exposed pins of the TH components.
IMG_20170218_231805765_compressed.jpg

I have put 4 dabs of clear silicone glue at the bottom corners of a box. Place four 1/4" nuts on top of wax paper used as spacers (not where the silicone will touch). Invert the box on top of the nut spacers and waxed paper. The weight of the box compresses the glue evenly to the height of the nut spacers. Let dry.